Help with bitumen paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We had a damp problem in our living room due to the house being old and the damp course in the outside wall failing. This was fixed and so far has not been causing any problems. My floor is concrete and does have a damp course so has not really been any problem but was a bit cold with our thin carpet.
So I have brought new carpet with a thick underlay due to be fitted Friday.

A mate of mine said it may be worth blackjacking the concrete to help with the coldness. And said this universal bitumen paint.
I have done this on Wednesday with all the windows open due to the smell. I only done half the room because it seamed drastic Left if over night. It was dry still tacky in places but had to use the room so have been uncovering it at night and most of today to let it finish drying.
However when I walk in the room there is still a slight tinge of the smell.
I now read people putting a screed over, I do not want to do this as the floor is ok.
Will the smell go, is the smell dangerous at all cos they tell you to paint on in a well ventilated room. Is there anything I can do to seal it and stop the smell for good or should I try to clean off, it was only one coat.
Help would be very appreciated

Sponsored Links
You need to get rid of mates like that. Quick fix is to throw a polythene sheet over it , will eliminate most of the smell and stop your new underlay sticking too it. Might make the fitting of gripper rod more difficult if the hot glue used to secure cannot get a firm grip of the concrete.

Many thanks for the reply. Well it sounds as if the bitumen paint is going to hinder in the future, with no benefits. Seeing as it was only half the room and a thin coat would you say it would be worth the elbow grease and just remove it

Sponsored Links
Ok sounds like plan. Jusst one mre question and could be a silly one but have to check. Is it dangerous having it there. As I can smell it so am worried about fumes
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back