Help with blocked off cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I blocked off a cavity around a door opening using 100mm blocks in between existing 100mm blocks forming the cavity wall.

There are many vertical gaps between the blocks on the sides, some very small, some larger, and a significant gap over and above where I placed a concrete lintel on its thin edge (65mm) as I could not fit it on its flat side.

I would like to close all those gaps, and would like help and suggestions. Use a mortar gun maybe? I have read they clog up really easily. Use 5 star grout or just sand and cement? And how do I close the gaps on the lintel above?

Attachments

• 20230613_152645.jpg
    20230613_152645.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
If your just closing gaps use expanding foam in a gun so you can control it

I blocked off a cavity around a door opening using 100mm blocks in between existing 100mm blocks forming the cavity wall.

There are many vertical gaps between the blocks on the sides, some very small, some larger, and a significant gap over and above where I placed a concrete lintel on its thin edge (65mm) as I could not fit it on its flat side.

I would like to close all those gaps, and would like help and suggestions. Use a mortar gun maybe? I have read they clog up really easily. Use 5 star grout or just sand and cement? And how do I close the gaps on the lintel above?
As said - Ex-foam is brilliant at filling slender gaps. Get a spray bottle and damp any of the holes first, especially those that have gravity working against them. If you have over-head gaps to fill, do these whilst the foam can is at its fullest.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I have used expanding foam extensively in other situations, but in this case I wanted something more structural to close the gaps.

I recently bought a mortar gun (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AX08IWS), If I mix 1:2 or 1:3 muck and make it runny and try to see how it goes. Not sure how to handle the overhead gap.

Attachments

• 20230613_152618.jpg
    20230613_152618.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 21

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back