Help with boiler electrical fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm doing my sparky 17th 2330 at the moment so have a idea about all this.

Anyway here's the problem.

My parents needed a new cu so I asked my mate to do it as he is part p registered. This was his 2nd job so he isn't very experienced. Since the cu upgrade (which was yesterday) the central heating system has not worked. The pilot light is on but the boiler will not kick in with the full flame. When he did the IR test he switched off the Emersion and electronic timer control unit (both located in airing cupboard upstairs) he didn't turn any thing off in the kitchen where the boiler is.

Is there any sensitive equipment he could of damaged? Or could it be a non electrical fault as it's a old boiler?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Did you mate isolate the boiler at the spur (possibly in airing cupboard/beside boiler) before he conducted his IR testing?

If not then the programmer might be fried.

Inside the wiring connections of the boiler there will be a switched live, see wether you get 240 on this terminal with the programmer on.

He isolated the emersion and also the digital timer control panel thing (both in the airing cupboard). We both assumed the control panel switched the boiler so thought the isolating the control would isolate the boiler.

I will check for 230 at the boiler when I go round tommorrow.

Thank you

Did you switch off the FCU for the heating system or just the timer. If just the timer there could be a permanent L to the boiler, and the Neutral would be direct also.
If you switched the FCU is it of the DP variety ?

I am thinking he has possibly managed to get 500V across the boiler pcb :eek:

Sponsored Links
The boiler should have a separate live as well as the switched live from the timer/control unit. The permant live is to enable the pump to be run for a short time after the timer/control unit switches off to avoid overheating in the boiler.

If the boiler's PCB has been fried your mate had better be insured 'cos replacement boiler PBCs ain't cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back