Help with broken toilet flusher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a problem with the flushing system of my toilet. I'm not really sure of part names, I looked at a bunch of diagrams on google images, but somehow ended up even more confused!
I hope I can describe the parts sufficiently so that someone can maybe help.
(From pictures, it seems to be a "flapper" however in my toilet it doesn't look like how it does in the pictures. It's more like a cylinder, and the middle of it moves up and down).

The actual lever, has that sort of metal hook which connects to a hole in part (X) that lifts to empty the tank, when the lever is pressed.
Sometimes that part X gets stuck and so the lever doesn't move properly, I think it's a spring related issue, but this is now a secondary problem... (although advice is still welcome)

My current problem is that the hook has come disconnected from part X. Part X has now dropped down, and is sort of flush with it's surroundings, so I cannot pull it back up to hook the lever back onto it.

If anyone understands what I'm rambling on about, I would love some advice.
Thanks!

edit: Have uploaded a picture:
t9CKbsBU.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's your flush syphon. You will likely need a new one. It fit it you have to remove the cistern from the toilet pan. I assume it's snapped off as it would be pretty unlikely to come unhooked If it has and you can get your fingers between the bottom of the cistern and the syphon you maybe able push up the plate as its spring loaded.

It has snapped, the flush syphon needs replaced.

You'll need to lift the cistern off if it's a closecouple and then you'll need either a fitting plate/kit doughnut
images

or a new foam doughnut - check sizes as they can be different, take old one with you
images

If wingnuts/bolts are rusted up then you'll need to cut them off with an angle grinder/dremmel and replace .... there are 2 types - either bolt through the cistern or a plate and nut mounting type.

When you're at it replace it with a drop valve, much more reliable than a syphon -

images

Whilst the rod may of sheared you say " hook has disconnected and X (rod) has dropped), if hands are small enough you may be able to push it up from the underneath (doubtful), you may also try superglue and attach something to pull it up.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the fast responses,

It has come unhooked rather than snapped; as it would often get stuck while flushing, I would have to wiggle the metal hook around a bit for it to move/retract properly. Last time I did this I managed to unhook it somehow.
That little metal bit in the center raises out , and there's a hole in it for the hook.

With this in mind, could you kindly elaborate on how I might get it back up again? Removing the cistern sounds like an epic job in my mind...
if I can reach underneath the whole syphon, can I actually push that bit back up again?

I would just go try it myself but I haven't found the water shut off valve yet !

Cheers

I missed the latest reply. Yes the superglue idea is very good, thanks.
Once I manage to do this, is there an easy way to fix the fact that the rod gets stuck in the up position (doesn't always naturally retract) whilst flushing? Would this still require taking the whole thing apart etc?

Thanks

Last edited:
Don`t have to turn the water off, just have a towel to hand :)
The rod may have limescale on it, first get the rod up then put something through the hole so you don`t lose it again.

If it's sticking up after flushing, chances are the siphon is worn, and ideally needs replacing. Check the alignment though of the mechanism for flushing, if it's not moving truly it may cause it to stick, ideally the metal 'C' link needs to be moving almost vertically to allow the piston to drop back after the handle is released.

Cheers.
Still trying to get the superglue to stick at the moment, hopefully will be able to sort this soon.

I did wonder if the alignment of the flushing mechanism had something to do with it, as the problem started when I bought a new lever.

The problem I have there is that I am limited by the hole positioning on this thing:
314W-0wWpTL._SX425_.jpg

And it seems quite difficult to get the c link moving perfectly vertically.
Maybe I should buy a different one of those ^^ ?

Thanks again for the advice so far

Sounds like you've nailed the source of the problem, look for another one.

You have a very small gap area around the rod, one blade of small nail scissors & a nail file with a lot of patience to lever it up to retrieve it?

@DIYfronts love that username BTW :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

I would advise changing the syphon and going the whole hog to get longevity and a better flush, as they eventually wear on the diaphragm underneath and give poor performance. You can change it to one that can be removed from above for future maintenance.

If you do wish to try and repair then try the following...
Small drill hole in the top of the plastic rod and then screw in a cup hook to try and retrieve it upwards... Might even work without drilling it.
Once you've got it back up, use a small cable tie through the hole to stop it being lost again... Garden twine was sometimes used for this but it rusts over time... Cable tie won't.
You could also use another cable tie round the hook and lever arm to get the flush pulling directly up again and avoiding the jamming.

But...in case you cause a leak... Make sure you do it wearing just your diyfronts :LOL:

@DIYfronts
If you do wish to try and repair then try the following...
Small drill hole in the top of the plastic rod and then screw in a cup hook to try and retrieve it upwards... Might even work without drilling it.
Once you've got it back up, use a small cable tie through the hole to stop it being lost again... Garden twine was sometimes used for this but it rusts over time... Cable tie won't.
You could also use another cable tie round the hook and lever arm to get the flush pulling directly up again and avoiding the jamming.

But...in case you cause a leak... Make sure you do it wearing just your diyfr:LOL:onts

Hehehe, thanks very much for the idea! Unfortunately that rod in the center is metal and not plastic :( Although the white surround is plastic but I'm not sure I can make that work. I am more interested in doing a short-term fix rather than taking the cistern off, as I don't think I will be at this address for that long... I'll happily let the next person fix it if it ever fails in the future.

Use one of these, infinitely variable positioning and far superior to the plastic crap. https://www.screwfix.com/p/brass-cistern-lever-arm/4912r
This is EXACTLY what I need, if only I had this a few months ago, none of the problems would have started!!

As I'd like to avoid removing the cistern, especially if I might need an angle grinder etc (I'm just a normal person who doesn't have an angle grinder), I would really like to try and raise the metal rod, and would be really keen to know if anyone else has a good idea. Superglue hasn't been strong enough to lift the metal rod, and so whatever I use to pull it up (currently a chopstick...) just unsticks when I pull. I know it's not strictly a plumbing issue... but if anyone can recommend a glue that will really stick a chopstick to a metal rod, (I bet this gets asked all the time here), and be a strong enough bond that I can lift the metal with it, then that could be very useful. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back