Help with broken toilet flusher

As said previously, put your hand in there, you should be able to get fingers under the edge of the siphon, and gently lift the plunger until the rod appears back though the hole.

Sponsored Links
As said previously, put your hand in there, you should be able to get fingers under the edge of the siphon, and gently lift the plunger until the rod appears back though the hole.

Or maybe a metal coat hanger with something soft on the end like blue tack?

..... coat-hanger wire bent something like this should enable the siphon plunger to be levered up :-
handle.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks. I'm not sure if the photo is a bit rubbish, but actually the gap between the rod and its white plastic surround is about 1mm, and there is practically no gap between the white plastic (which also lifts up) and its brown surroundings. So gripping onto it with forceps/nail files etc is unfortunately not possible. Also the whole thing is sort of recessed about an inch which makes things harder (that's what she said).

Similarly, the gap between the syphon and the base of the cistern is so small, I can just about barely fit a metal wire in, let alone fingers, but I can't see how I would get a peice of wire with a "hook" end to fit and face upwards etc.

It's really frustrating that they would make it this way. We had a plumber years ago who looked at it and said, its Armitage Shanks, high quality etc. Well I don't know about high quality but from my amateur point of view, I'd say it's a sh*t design!

I'm currently looking at acquiring a good magnet. I did previously think about using one of those extendible pen magnets for getting screws out of car engines, but I need to look for it and I suspect it's definitely not strong enough.

Cheers for all the input fellas. If anyone knows about magnets or strong glue then pls drop me a reply :)

The shaft is plastic ,put a small thin screw into it and pull it up . if you can drill a pilot hole with a very small diameter ,maybe 1.5 mm drill bit,first ,and only a couple of mm deep,do so.

Small drill hole in the top of the plastic rod and then screw in a cup hook to try and retrieve it upwards... Might even work without drilling it.

The shaft is plastic ,put a small thin screw into it and pull it up . if you can drill a pilot hole with a very small diameter ,maybe 1.5 mm drill bit,first ,and only a couple of mm deep,do so.

;)

Will that work if water is present? Might be a handy trick to keep in the book.

I meant to use it underneath the syphon to push it up... The blue tack to stop the wire puncturing the diaphragm... I didn't mean that the blue tack would stick to the plunger and pull it up... If that's what you thought I meant? ;)

Thanks folks. I'm not sure if the photo is a bit rubbish, but actually the gap between the rod and its white plastic surround is about 1mm, and there is practically no gap between the white plastic (which also lifts up) and its brown surroundings. So gripping onto it with forceps/nail files etc is unfortunately not possible. Also the whole thing is sort of recessed about an inch which makes things harder (that's what she said).

Similarly, the gap between the syphon and the base of the cistern is so small, I can just about barely fit a metal wire in, let alone fingers, but I can't see how I would get a peice of wire with a "hook" end to fit and face upwards etc.

It's really frustrating that they would make it this way. We had a plumber years ago who looked at it and said, its Armitage Shanks, high quality etc. Well I don't know about high quality but from my amateur point of view, I'd say it's a sh*t design!

I'm currently looking at acquiring a good magnet. I did previously think about using one of those extendible pen magnets for getting screws out of car engines, but I need to look for it and I suspect it's definitely not strong enough.

Cheers for all the input fellas. If anyone knows about magnets or strong glue then pls drop me a reply :)

You can get a tiny drill bit that will drill into the metal rod. Try doing this with no water in the cistern which should release any vacuum and make it easier to pull it up.

Isn't it amazing the different number of methods that can be thought of to try and fix something that would cost a fiver and half an hour to replace :D

Isn't it amazing the different number of methods that can be thought of to try and fix something that would cost a fiver and half an hour to replace :D

Two things to say to that:
1. All these methods, while they are very creative and much appreciated, aren't sufficient, otherwise I wouldn't still be asking. I just tried a strong magnet and had no luck, the only one left to try is drilling the plastic.

2. it wouldn't take half an hour to replace, because firstly I don't have the technical knowledge that you have, so I would be figuring it out as I go along. I need to go to the shop and find the right replacement doughnut as YOU said above. And as I said previously, I may need to use an *angle grinder* (according to YOU) which I don't have and have never used. I would have to go buy one of these and try and fit into a small place, and figure out how to use it effectively. And you say this is "half an hour" and "costs a fiver"? Maybe for you, Mr. Expert, but not me, that's why I'm here. That's why I'd rather find a creative way to lift a rod that is stuck in a recessed position.

Mr @DIYfronts , please get off your high horse.

That wasn't directed at you, nor your level of expertise .... rather at the guys on here, as the pro's on here know and why it was 'liked'. It was just a general comment on how many different ideas the lads can come up with, when there's a little challenging thing like that. In plumbing it can sometime be the strangest things used to fix strange problems

At the end of the day when people take/read things the wrong way on here, I don't really care, it's up to you what you do and what advice you use to fix your toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back