Toilet, not always flushes - Syphon faulty ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i press the toilet handle, it always not flushing. At times, it takes more that couple of handle pressings.
I have attached a picture of the system. My understanding is that it is a close coupled system.

When the handle is pressed the black lever that is attached to the handle moves up but , it doesnot always allow the water to flow down.
My questions are,
Is there any adjustments that i can do to improve this? Like move the hook to the second hole of the black lever?

Or Is the siphon is fault and i should replace the siphon?

Thank you
kutu

Sponsored Links
Make sure the water level in the cistern is correct
If water level ok you will be looking at new siphon get a dudley turbo and a wc close coupling kit as you will need these when you take cistern to pieces

Altering the handle ect isn't going to cure anything, more likely the diaphragms split in the syphon.

You can change the diagphram but for you more easier to just go to screwfix and buy a new syphon under a tenner.

Forget the 'old hat' syphon, fit a flapper valve, preferrably a Fluidmaster.

Sponsored Links
I would buy a new syphon. Make sure you take measurements of the cistern depth and width when buying one. Easiest thing to do is jot the measurements down on a piece of paper and take a tape measure with you to double check.

Forget the syphon. Luddites.

A flapper valve will fit your cistern without the bother of f*rting about with a tape measure. Trust me.
Very little to go wrong, and simplicity itself to fix in the unlikely event that it does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back