Help with 'BYPASS VALVE'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!
I installed a vaillant ecoTEC Plus (831 r1) in 2007 November, I am an electrician but have some experience with boilers and plumbing, I decided to install this boiler myself, and did so, but did not have much time to read and understand the boiler properly as I really needed the boiler for hot water

Well, I installed the boiler, filled the CH system with water, everything worked fine until 2009.

a problem had risen: when there was hot water demand from a tap, not only would the domestic hot water heat up, but the radiators would heat up too, basically the radiators and tap water would heat up simultaneously, By reading the manual provided with the boiler, I concluded that the diverter valve required replacing and also the water pressure sensor, I spent 140 replacing the parts, it seemed to fix the problem, but 2 months ago, the boiler began leaking water, from underneath, just a drip every 2 minutes. I realized from reading forums off 'DIYnot', that my system should have been properly flushed before continuing with the boiler, so I removed all radiators in my house, and cleaned them using a hose pipe, I reinstalled them added inihibitor as usual, and ran the central heating system, all worked fine, I even installed a magnaclean.

Two months later, I heard a drilling noise from inside the boiler which can be heard through close by rads, so I opened the boiler casing and played around and found that turning the bypass valve screw would stop the noise and even closing some of the valves on the ends of a few radiators. I don't understand what a bypass valve is need for, or what it does.

oh, and by the way, I am using radiators new and old, the old ones being 15-20 years old, and the new ones are about 5 years.

can I please request for some kind help about what a bypass valve does, and how I should adjust it.

thank you for your co-operation.

Sponsored Links
To quote the commissioning guide for a Myson auto-bypass valve:

Myson said:
Government approved guidance covering the part of the Building Regulations related to the conservation of energy states that in all systems in which the boiler manufacturer’s instructions demand a bypass, or specify a minimum flow rate through the boiler, that an automatic bypass valve be fitted. This type of valve modulates open when necessary to ensure that the appropriate minimum flow rate is maintained through the boiler, at all other times it is closed thus preventing unnecessary and wasteful circulation through the bypass and the boiler.
In addition to providing to providing boiler minimum flow control, automatic bypass valves can be used to reduce persistent water velocity noise that may occur in some systems.

Said document with further information can be found here.

I'm afraid that's about as much help as you're likely to get, as DIY boiler installs are rather frowned upon in this forum. Good luck with it if you ever come to selling the house...

Sponsored Links
Any further information is welcome as other people may need further help and are probably facing a similar problem

Because of where they work many electricians often meet boiler installers.

Hopefully that is usually a friendly encounter and they work together without any problems.

But there are some electricians who choose to rubbish the boiler installer to the house owner or builder. This is often in the form of saying he has no idea of what he is doing and has not bonded something or in many cases suggested he should have called an electrician.

That has become more common since many boiler installers took limited scope assessments to enable them to meet regulations covering electrical work.

In this case the OP has probably been perceived as someone who has fitted a boiler ( badly ) because he could not be bothered to read up what was required or to get the installation done by a qualified boiler installer.

I dont have much problem with someone who installs a boiler correctly in his own house. For someone with technical experience its not that difficult but I do like to see the gas connection and commissioning being done by a professional.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back