Help with central heating system req'd!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While redecorating my Kitchen today i damaged a 8mm microbore pipe on the exit side of a Single Convector radiator, the water drained onto my Kitchen floor while i raced to B&Q to get the parts to fix my pipework.
(40 mins + to fix leak)

I have sealed the pipe now,

BUT,

I lost all the water in the system onto my kitchen floor and i cannot get my Grundfus 15-50 pump to re-prime the system.

It just makes funny noises and heats up - so i have turned all off for now until i recieve further help.

I take it the heating system is full of air and needs replacing with water?

Would i be able to use the system drain point to let all the air out until water replaces this?

How do i re-prime this pump?

OR

will letting all the air out of the system prime the pump for me?

All the taps etc are running fine.

HELP.........

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a sealed system (not fed by open tank in roof space). What type of boiler do you have?

The pump is upstairs in the airing cupboard next to the tank.

The boiler is a Baxi back boiler behind the fire. There is a small tank in the loft area (Empty). It is approx 2ft x1ft x 1ft in size.

Sponsored Links
So is the feed tank full of water? And is this not entering the system? Could be that old favourite - the blocked fed & expansion pipe.

No - the feed tank is empty and it has a ball cock valve in it and this is still in it's level position.

Should i push the ball cock down and see if the tank fills?

Paul Barker said:
You're winding us up aren't you?

Durr, yes!

Wish i was because then it would be funny. I am a young guy in his first house and inexperianced in DIY.

OK, i have pushed the ball cock down and loosened it up all seems to work there now and the tank is full.

So where do i go from here turn on and bleed the system?

From each individual Rad? or Use the system drain point?

The system should vent itself except for the rads, each of which will need venting. You might possibly have a manual vent point near the HW cylinder, after the pump and motorised valve (if any). Don't fire up the boiler until the system pipework seems full of water. Listen to the pump - it won't sound very happy with air in the pipes. When it's quiet, you should be clear of air.

Thankyou guys for your help.

All seems to be running OK now. Just vented all Rads. No pump damage it seems all quiet so far.

Once again thanks.

It would probably be a good idea to tie the ballcock up, drain around 15 - 20 litres of water from the system, add an inhibitor (such as Fernox) and untie the ballcock to refill the system. This will prevent long term internal corrosion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back