Help with crack in grout in shower cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was hoping to get a bit of advice regarding a crack that keeps appearing in the grout in the shower cubicle, it’s happened before and in exactly the same place as well.

The house is a new build property and is now just over 1 year old, the property has 2 years where they will come and fix any issues, June 2018 would be when that is up.

This is a picture of the crack:

http://imgur.com/a/sgJUk

The developer has been out before, I was not in at the time but was told that they didn't take the tile off they just scraped some grout out and put some new grout over.

So i am not sure if there is any damage behind this tile, or should i not really be worried about that, would this not really cause any damage as such?

I do look sometimes below where the shower cubicle is and there are no leaks etc.

I will also admit that i am not the lightest person in the world but would that actually cause this to happen in the same place all the time, it’s basically the bottom tile in the middle of the cubicle.

This is something that’s worried me a little, is it my fault? But I’m not an expert at these things and if the cubicle was positioned correctly i assume that shouldn't make any difference to the wall? or can i be happy knowing this isn't my fault as such?

The area tends not to have the shower sprinkling on it constantly but obviously some water will go on it at some point.

The developer is due to come out again in about 2 weeks to take another look at this and i'd like to have an idea of what i can / can't say giving the circumstances, i feel like just putting a layer of new grout in the cracked area may not be enough and maybe they need to take the tile off to see if they is any issue behind the tile, but then would that be a huge job? i guess they would have to then take all the sealant away too because being the bottom tile the sealant is stuck to it, i have also replaced the sealant myself also that they put on originally due to it starting to come away from the wall in places, just where you can see slight gaps appearing when you look down to the base.

Im starting to kind of feel like it is my fault but will they probably say this is not your issue and you will have to get it fixed yourself?

There are cracks here and there around the house anyway, in the plasterboard which is expected in a new build after a year, but is this also one of them kind of expected cracks that i don’t need to worry about? and am i getting them out for nothing?

Sorry if i am rambling on lol.. i just want some assurance about it.

Regards

James

Sponsored Links
If it cracked then highly likely water will have penetrated and soaked the background , if it's plasterboard then it swells and causes further cracking and eventually total failure. Building company will hope to bodge it till warranty expires and leaves you with replacing it .

Hi, thanks for the reply, when they come out to look at it, what should i expect them to do then as i assume they will just want to re-apply a layer of grout in the crack, should they really atake the tike fully off to look for damage etc?

Can i insist on that or it is really down to what they decide when they look at it?

Could it turn into a big job where part of the wall needs replacing?

James

They can't check it properly unless the remove at least one tile, if there is damage I would insist on complete replacement.Anything less would be a bodge.

Sponsored Links
Foxhole has given you good advice, without removal of at least 1 tile, they will have no way of know what is causing the damage, if there is water ingress behind the tiles or whatever. Stick to you guns and demand they remove at least 1 tile, and you actually have a look at the wall when the tile is off. Its not unheard of in botch jobs that they will remove a tile, then just put it back and regrout, without repairing the original cause of your damage

Look at the tile to the right of the one with the damaged grout, looks as though that is going to start going the same way, have a good look at all the joints in that area and point out anymore grout damage to them, it is quite possible they may have to remove a few tiles to see exactly whats going on behind. Keep us updated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back