Shower cubicle kin stinks !!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all .

Re did my bathroom a couple of years ago .Installed new bath ,shower etc .Everywhere tiled .

Just started to get a stink in the area of the shower cubicle .Thought it was coming from the drain hole area so installed a hepvo inline trap ,thinking it was coming back up the waste pipe .(the smell that is .)

I am now thinking the grout is letting water through and its the plasterboard behind that smells when it starts to dry out .(the smell disapears when showering and cubicle is wet ).

Would something like Thomsons waterseal be effective if applied over the stone tiles and grout ,thus preventing the water getting through .Does not appear to be any cracks in the grout .

Any advice appreciated .

I did not bother with the more expensive waterproof plasterboards ,when building the cubicle .Lesson learnt for next time .!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Many Thanks
Rob .

Sponsored Links
I am now thinking the grout is letting water through and its the plasterboard behind that smells when it starts to dry out .(the smell disapears when showering and cubicle is wet ).

They smell totally different so are you really sure you’ve thoroughly investigated for any plumbing issues; if’s been incorrectly plumbed (all into one with a w/c ?) then you will get problems which even a Hepvo trap may not cure. If your satisfied it’s not the plumbing then it may well be damp but the tiles & grouting will usually show signs of distress. Investigate for leaks under the tray & if that fails, your thinking is probably right & it may well be the PlasterBoard behind there causing the problem.

Would something like Thomsons waterseal be effective if applied over the stone tiles and grout ,thus preventing the water getting through .Does not appear to be any cracks in the grout .
I doubt it, once it’s gone you’ve basically had it it may be a virtual pulp sponge behind there. Waterproof adhesive & grout (unless it’s an expensive epoxy) is only waterproof in that it won’t disintegrate if it gets wet. It’s not impervious so will still absorb water & unfortunately PB will (even the Moisture proof variety eventually) will disintegrate if exposed for any length of time. When you (eventually) strip it out you may be surprised by the ghastley sight that greets you but it’s probably going to be the only cure.

I did not bother with the more expensive waterproof plasterboards ,when building the cubicle. Lesson learnt for next time .!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
The real lesson to learn is to use only Moisture Resistant plasterboard in a bathroom but never use it in a “wet” area unless you tank it; personally I always use a decent tile backer board in shower enclosures & adjacent to baths. & only ever use a decent, trade quaility adhesive & grout of the correct type; cheapo DIY shed stuff wont last.

Thanks Richard for the reply .

What are the tile backer boards you mention for use in the wet area ??

Plumbing seems to be sound .Did use decent grout from Tile shop where I got the tiles .

I am thinking of relining the shower area by using them big sheets of plastic with the marble type finish etc ,presuming these would be totally waterproof and save messing about in the future .I would stick them over the tiles.In the shower area .(what do you think ??)

Bit of a shame because I did spend a fair bit on the tiles throughout the bathroom ,but I cant do with the smell ,and as its a Bungalow ,the bathroom is 6 foot from the front door and its the first smell that hits you when you walk in or guests walk in !!!

Thanks Again .

What are the tile backer boards you mention for use in the wet area ??
Several available; Marmox;
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=MX125MM2400
Wediboard;
http://www.wedi.co.uk/tileback.php
Hardibacker;
http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/product/171/10-x-hardibacker-500-(12mm-walls)
Aquapanel;
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Aquapanel-Water-Resistant-Backing-Board/invt/220561?source=123_4

Marmox & Wedi are waterproof; Hardi & Aquapanel are only classed as water resistant. All have their particular uses but some cost far more than others. I mainly use Aquapanel; it’s reasonably priced & is more than adequate when used in domestic shower/bath applications; Marmox would be more suitable for a wet room; horses for courses & a degree of personal choice/availability really.

Plumbing seems to be sound .Did use decent grout from Tile shop where I got the tiles .
I can’t imagine you would have been sold an inferior product by an independent tile shop but some stockist recommendations are based on profit margins rather than quality/suitability. You only get what you pay for with this stuff; there are several good trade products around, I use only BAL products & have never had a single failure. I assume it was a waterproof flexible adhesive/grout?

I am thinking of relining the shower area by using them big sheets of plastic with the marble type finish etc ,presuming these would be totally waterproof and save messing about in the future .I would stick them over the tiles. In the shower area .(what do you think ??) Bit of a shame because I did spend a fair bit on the tiles throughout the bathroom ,but I cant do with the smell ,and as its a Bungalow ,the bathroom is 6 foot from the front door and its the first smell that hits you when you walk in or guests walk in !!!
A bit like papering over cracks really; probably OK for a quick, temporary fix but if it’s all gone bad behind there, it won’t get rid of the underlying problem & certainly won’t look as good as tiles. I’d bite the bullet, pull it all down & start again armed with the knowledge that, done properly, it will last at least 10 years, possibly 20 or even longer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard C .

Some good links on there and definately learned how to do it correctly next time !!!!!

Not sure which way I will go ,with my problem at the moment as the shower unit is through the tiles etc ,so it would mean ripping the whole lot out ,which would be a big job !!! Guess I was hoping someone would say coat it with waterseal and all will be OK .!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Again .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back