Help with cycling (SMART trainer) and apps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've looked, and can't find a definitive answer, but don't want to spend money that I don't really need to.

Watch - Garmin Fenix 5
Android phone, with Garmin Connect app and Wahoo app (free version) on
Cadence sensor on crank
Wahoo Kickr Snap SMART trainer; bike hooked onto that

All connect to each other fine, and I can track my workouts with all of the details being tracked and recorded

I want to do a formal FTP test while cycling on the SMART trainer.
According to the Fenix manual, I need a chest strap heart rate monitor.

As the watch itself monitors heart rate, and sends that data to the phone apps, why would the FTP test need a chest strap heart rate monitor (HRM) instead?

(If I bought a HRM, I'd buy a swimming-compatible one - which would cost close on £100, I think - so I'd rather avoid buying one unless absolutely necessary).

Also, are the test instructions displayed on the watch (rather than the phone)?
If Yes, this would be harder to read while cycling.

Thanks in advance (y)

Sponsored Links
Just go for a ride and when you begin to cough up a lung, it's time to stop and find a pub.
All that technology rots your mind.

Have you done one before? Are you testing for a baseline or wanting to see what your max can be.

I assume you are going to do the full 1 hour rather than use a formula for say 20 or 40 mins?

How are you intending to measure power - you can't really do this without a power meter.

You only need the HRM to guide you through the FTP. Its power that you really need to measure unless you are planning to use HR zone?

Have you done one before? Are you testing for a baseline or wanting to see what your max can be.

I assume you are going to do the full 1 hour rather than use a formula for say 20 or 40 mins?

How are you intending to measure power - you can't really do this without a power meter.

You only need the HRM to guide you through the FTP. Its power that you really need to measure unless you are planning to use HR zone?

I've done a couple of 1 hr rides on the Wahoo but if I'm honest, I've managed them rather than full-gassed them (I tend to get bored and, as I've previously posted, I'm experimenting with different saddle heights and angles, as my sit bones have crippled me for the last 20 mins).

The Wahoo measures power output, realtime and average.

I just want to get a realistic base, so that I can perhaps have a metric to see if I'm improving or not.

My main question was and still is though, if my watch tracks heart rate as it is, why would a chest strap HRM be necessary?

Sponsored Links
As said it's not really possible to do an FTP (functional threshold power) test without a power meter as ultimately Power is the only real way to be sure two rides are comparable. You can try a 40 min HR zone 4 ride (assuming your watch uses a 5 zone model), but next time you do it, you've no idea if you are fitter or not without power. The other option is to go for distance if your trainer can show that. Maybe go for a 20 mile ride try to maintain zone 4 and see how quick you can do it.

As said it's not really possible to do an FTP (functional threshold power) test without a power meter as ultimately Power is the only real way to be sure two rides are comparable. You can try a 40 min HR zone 4 ride (assuming your watch uses a 5 zone model), but next time you do it, you've no idea if you are fitter or not without power. The other option is to go for distance if your trainer can show that. Maybe go for a 20 mile ride try to maintain zone 4 and see how quick you can do it.

The Kickr (smart trainer) calculates power, which it sends to my watch.

As long as I do all my efforts on that, it'll form a comparable benchmark.

What I don't understand is, as my watch already measures heart rate, why I wouldn't be using that, and instead have to use a chest strap heart monitor......

I suspect it’s a compatibility thing. The watch won’t integrate with the wahoo. And it’s going to try to work out your vo2max.

So if you have power. You can do an ftp test. HR is largely only to guide you on your effort.

When I do an FTP. I try to over power for the first 3rd. Maintain target power for the middle 3rd and do what ever I’ve got left for the last 3rd.

I used to love doing FTPs but after mid 40s the numbers have been slowly going down.

Last edited:
For saddle adjustment. Set the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock feet positions so that your low foot is almost straight then for the 3 and 9 position knee tracking over toe.

You can afford to have your seat slightly higher and further forward if you are indoors and are suffering with sensitive sit bones.

Sponsored Links
Back