help with defrosting a freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am defrosting the freezer bit of my fridge for the first time and want to know the ins and outs of it. How do you speed the process up. Is there anyway of making the ice melt faster. Where do you keep your items while you are doing this.

Sponsored Links
I use a tub of hot water at the bottom of my freezer. heat helps the ice melt, and gives the ice somewhere to be scrapped into. just pour down the sink when cold.

I double wrap my frozen stuff in carrier bags, then stick it wherevers the coolest, downstairs bathroom or the shed.

And ofcourse dry the freezer again once all the ice has been removed, wash the freezer trays then put it all back in quick!

Be aware that if your fridge has a moulded plastic inner, it may soften and bend or melt if you put a heavy pan of hot water on the floor. If you have racks or shelves they should be OK.

If there is a lot of ice you can wash it down with hot water (and maybe a drop of washing up liquid). But once you have emptied out the cold food it will melt fairly soon in a warm room.

I agree with Maxxy about drying it before refilling - any moisture you leave inside will just form frost again.

If you put all your frozen food in a big box (or two) it will keep itself cold for a while. You can wrap the box in e.g. a bin liner, or put it inside a second box, to give an extra insulating layer of air around it. You can run your freezer at its coldest or "fast freeze" for the day before to get the food really cold before you take it out.

You will need a bowl to catch the melted ice. Your freezer might have a pipe or bung to let the water out - have a look at the instructions.

duvette on the floor freezer baskets [or contents in sutable containers]
duvette or two on top well pushed in to stop air flow

if you only have 1 duvette several blankets underneath and duvette on top

Sponsored Links
Hair dryer?

You can also buy some stuff not sure what it is tho to spray to defrost quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back