DEFROSTING THE FREEZER IDEA.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hsve to defrost my fridge freezer box at weekend as the freezer is really iced over at the top. I googled for any tips and one lady said that she had sent off for a spray that is supposed to melt the ice much quicker when sprayed directly on. She said when the spray came and she read what it contained, it was rubbing alcohol so just save your money and get this instead. I googled rubbing alcohol and found out it was what we call surgical spirit. I just wanted to check that everyone thinks this would be safe to just pop in a bottle and spray directly onto the ice in my freezer.

Sponsored Links
will probably make the food taste funny

also it is inflammable

If it was me I would just allow more time. Bag up the food and put it in a bin liner inside a box (preferably inside another box) and it will stay cold for hours.

If it is a "frost free" freezer that has iced up, it can take more than a day for the blocked airways inside to thaw out :(

first switch off

Boil a large sauce pan of water and put in side the freezer . Shut the door

wrap your food stuff in foil and leave in a box

if you use the hot saucepan method, don't stand it on the floor of the freezer if plastic, as it may soften and be deformed by the heat.

I just leave the door open.

Sponsored Links
I used a small electric heater on a low heat setting sat outside the freezer with the door open. The heat wasn't enough to damage anything but enough to speed up the "natural" defrosting process.

The only problem with the hot water solution is that if the ice build up on the roof of the freezer is significant then the drops of water/ice as it melts fall in to the pan and cool the water so you have to replace it often.

quilt cover on adjoining room floor lay trays and boxes on quilt then cover with 1 or 2 quilts
if you only have one quilt lay blankets or several towels on the floor and quilt on top

use a washing up bowl 1/3 to 1/2 full with hot water if its boiling water add around 20% cold

change the water ever 15-20 mins when cooled down to warm

after about 20 mins start scraping with plastic scraper/impliment from the top down

quilt cover on adjoining room floor lay trays and boxes on quilt then cover with 1 or 2 quilts
if you only have one quilt lay blankets or several towels on the floor and quilt on top

use a washing up bowl 1/3 to 1/2 full with hot water if its boiling water add around 20% cold

change the water ever 15-20 mins when cooled down to warm

after about 20 mins start scraping with plastic scraper/impliment from the top down

Whats the quilt for Big-all? in case you get tired waiting for the defrost?

:D :D :D :D :D

Gotta admit that, thats basically what I do. Turn off, pack food into cool boxes with ice blocks, loads of bowls of boiling water, replace when they cool. The freezer does defrost quite well but its the top part over the first drawer that doesnt. The last time I was waiting for a full day, replacing the boiling water etc to try and get the ice from the top but in the end I just had to give up :cry:
I mentioned it to my supervisor today, I work in a kitchen, and she said why not just use de-icer!!!!!! I honestly thought she was kidding but she was serious. Im just pleased the freezers in work defrost themselves. ;)

Until I owned a decent firdge freezer I used a hammer! Crude but effective (and fun) and job done in about 5 minutes! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back