Help with electrical ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello we’ve recently bought a property, built in the 90s. The lady before had work done to the downstairs. When we moved in we noticed a problem with the electrics. The sockets from downstairs are connected to the ring upstairs on the switchboard. We also found a live socket wire in a wall in the hallway hidden behind a thermostat, and a flickering ceiling light in the kitchen. We’re going to get an electrician in but want to find where the connection is before so it makes the job easier. We’re going to be knocking a wall down to the dining room (partners a joiner carpenter) so isn’t an issue if we have to make a mess downstairs. Just need advice on how to locate it?

Thanks

Attachments

• 5D707E29-F1E6-4254-AF7A-5D049B7483D9.jpeg
    5D707E29-F1E6-4254-AF7A-5D049B7483D9.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
The pic looks like a disused 2-way light switch cable. or, less likely, a central heating thermostat. Stand back and take a wider pic showing where it is in the room.

Has a nearby doorway been blocked up? Is it near the stairs?

How did you determine it is live and which circuit feeds it?

My partner tested it (I’m not knowledgeable sorry not sure what the device is called).

So that’s in the downstairs hallway but only goes off when you turn off upstairs on the switch board. Along with all the kitchen, living room, dining room and conservatory. So there’s a lot on there :/

What happens when you turn off the wall switch supplying the boiler?

Sponsored Links
I’m not at home at the moment, I’ll check that when we get back later today and let you know what happens. Thanks for your help!

Are you sure split in up/down? My home split side to side, better system as if a trip can't be reset, then extension leads used to keep essentials running are not on the stairs, also better splitting of load, and less cable used so better readings as well.

The up/down split was common so that only 2 RCD's could be used and lights and power not on same RCD for any room, rather penny pinching but still common, and often there were stickers in the kit for a consumer unit (switchboard) up/down but not side to side, so possible incorrectly marked.

In the 90's RCD's were not that common, so very likely split side to side.

Today we tend to used RCBO's which is a MCB and RCD combined so again back to side to side split for power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back