Change in electrical circumstances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started rennovating an old farmhouse in 2004, most of the rewire of the upstairs was carried out before 2005 (old colours etc), we've since added an extension with permission under building notice.

The main bathroom and kitchen are complete and are on their own ring, so are the upstairs sockets and lighting ring. We've just got the en-suite, downstairs ring and the rest of the downstairs lighting circuit to go.

The problem is that the electrician that was overseeing/helping with the re-wire is no longer available to complete, test and sign off the work.

Consequently, I don't have LBC notice for the electrical work carried out since 2005.

What do I do? I had no reason to think that circumstances would change in this way when we started this project.

Sponsored Links
speak to your building inspector and explain the situation. If building control are doing thier job properly you should be able to get them to check it off though you may have to pay extra if your original building notice said the work was to be done by a member of a self certification scheme.

It's time that the scheme organisers did something about the increasingly common situation of electricians moving/retiring/dying/falling ill/being abducted by aliens part way through a job.

The insurance backed guarantee is there to cover guarantee work in the same circumstances - it ought to be extended to cater for this.

This situation must be quite common. When, like us, our rennovation has so far taken 3 yrs and counting. The job is started but won't be complete for years.

People fall out with builders/electricians all the time, sometimes it can get quite nasty. How do you convince another electrician to 'take over' someone elses work? Especially once some rooms have been plastered and decorated!

I'm a bit worried that the inspector may ask to 'uncover' the wiring runs in rooms that are finished.

Sponsored Links
It's time that the scheme organisers did something about the increasingly common situation of electricians moving/retiring/dying/falling ill/being abducted by aliens part way through a job.

Increasingly common :LOL: , based on the number of calls we get asking if we sign off jobs a sparks must mysteriously vanish every day!

In a few months time me and Dartlec should have Kent sown up:cool:

Mind you, if they reduce the pub opening hours we might have to wait a bit longer ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back