Help with Fiddes Hardwaxoil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have purchased Fiddes HarwaxOil Dark Oak. The HardwaxOil was to go on freshly laid unfinished oak floorboards.

I would not describe myself as a novice to the world of DIY but on this occasion I have had some problems while using the HardwaxOil product - first time working on floorboards.

I wanted to darken my oak floorboards, and finish them so in the end I choose the Fiddes Dark Oak HardwaxOil instead of applying a stain separately and subsequently applying a translucent finish on top.

My question is the application process and remedies to correct to what I assume are some mistakes. I applied the Fiddes product as guided by the instructions applying liberally using a brush moving with the grain and then wiping off any excess liquid. However during the application the oil sort of applied to the floorboards in a streaked fashion and was hard to apply evenly but after rubbing it in with a cloth it was sort of fine (although slightly darker near the edge of the walls where the cloth could no move as freely - although not 100% satisfactory I was visually would have liked).

My problem is there are some parts to the floor where the application of the hardwaxoil for some reason when applied became instantly tacky and upon trying to remove the excess liquid or tackiness it just became more tacky and darkened due to the stain (sort of look liked leaving dark treacle to the floor although not as thick).

In all I'm trying to do 15 square meters by hand and on the first coat this was hard work (cant believe this is described on the tin as easy to apply). Upon applying the 2nd coat it was even tackier and left dark heavy spots from where the waxoil would simply just not rub off or blend in, then leaving what looked like fibre hairs from the cotton cloth.

My question is - if I'm left with floorboards with darkened areas due to the application of the product how do I lighten those areas to ensure the coat is even and natural looking. I did try sanding some floorboards with 120 grit sanding paper and all this did was just make it patchy and I want to avoid making it to smooth where the product may not absorb.

-Is there a better way to apply Hardwaxoil that includes a stain than using a brush and cloth?
-Can I remedy this by hiring a sander and removing the top surface and starting again - will a sander remove the stained surface back to a fresh bare surface?
-Does hardwaxoil containing a stain dry patchy and subsequently ease up when polishing after it has dried?
-How warm does the room have to be when applying the product, my room was about 14C, was that to cold and may explain the reason it went tacky in areas (instructions say 20C but does that have to be adhered too strictly)?
-When applying are you really meant to rub quite aggressively to ensure it applies evenly (as mine has a stain there is a visual sign of the application process) - for some reason the impression I get is I'm rubbing off the product and wondering if its just the stain that is leaving a visual sign that something has been done and not necessarily a chance for the oil or wax to do anything?
-If I were or can start again, to get a uniform finish is best to stain separately then apply a clear hardwaxoil finish as opposed to a premixed one?

After all this time and effort it would have been cheaper for me to have bought a pre-finished boards than initially thinking I could save money by the method I choose!

Any advice or answers to questions above would be appreciated...

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Room was definitely too cold. The wax in the hardwaxoil needs a higher temperature or it will hamper the application - as you've noticed.

It is always best to apply any hardwaxoil very thinly. We normally use a sponge instead of a brush to apply it thinly.

Did you sand the floorboards before applying the HWO and if so, with what grit? For an oil application you should never use a higher grit as last sanding than 120.
Perhaps an unnecessary question, did you stir the product well before applying?

Try to remove the streaks with some white spirit first before you turn to sander.

Instructions and Fiddes website recomended sanding with 150 grit, which is what I used as my final finish (used 120 initially).

I also stirred the contents prior.

When I get home tonight I will try the White spirit to see if that lifts the over stained patches. Depending on results I will try the sponge method instead of a brush, and ensure the room is a lot warmer.

Hopefully all will be ok!

Sponsored Links
Instructions and Fiddes website recomended sanding with 150 grit
Don't take me wrong, but them are idiots then! Ending with 150 is for when you want to apply lacquer or varnish, for oil the 'pores' of the wood will not be 'open' enough to absorb the oil. Hence ending with 120 when applying oil or hardwaxoil.

Hope you get some result, let us know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back