Help with fish tank stand design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Please see my below tank stand it will be made from 4mm x 40mm x 40mm box section and will be a 3ft cube, the problem I have is once the stand is welded up I wont be able to get it through the door into the lounge, so does anyone have any suggestions how I could build this stand so a can assemble and un-assemble it as and when I want ?

SteelTankStand.png

Sponsored Links
Red - weld together 4 separate elements, namely abcd and efgh (to form 2 squares); the other 2 elements are aefh and bcfg (to form H frames). Now, obtain 8 short lenghts (say 100mm long) of steel angle, these should be welded to each corner of the square frames to form inward pointing spigots (these will slot into the tubes that form the H sections). Position the flats of the angle towards the inside of the cube so that the fixing machine screws cannot be seen. Use angle, and not strip steel, for rigidity. Obviously, you'll have to drill & tap the holes for the machine screws. Result = flat-pack stand.

I would do as Symptoms says

But weld the frame up as you have it, and make the bottom frame BCGF detachable with upwards spigots, thus you can drop your made up cube onto the spigots of the bottom frame.
No need then for any screws.

You will be able to swing your cube around doors or through a window, without the bottom frame attached.

Make sure the top face is as flat as possible, I would then cover with 18 m/m ply and a layer of 3 m/m rubber, especially if the tank is glass.

Sponsored Links
i take it the tank sits on the H frame side?

if so, make these to sit on top of the "legs", not as you have them now with the legs being full height and open at the top....

so weld frames ADHE and BCGF and connect them with the "legs"..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back