Marine fish tank on concrete third floor flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i was hoping anyone could help please - we are upgrading from a 4 foot marine fish tiank to a 5.5 foot and live in a purpose built 60's flat on the third floor. we have no idea which way the beams go or who made the floor or if it si solid concrete (thinking it must be given that the downstairs neighbours haven't ended up with a 4 ft fish tank in their lounge after 4 years!). We are really worried the floor just wont take it! Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the width and height of the tank.. as well as how it is supported on the floor.. ie on corner posts or rails down sides etc etc.. In the end may just require a spreader plate

Sponsored Links
Whats its capacity in litres?

If its not specified, then work it out. You need the three dimensions in millimetres. Multiply them, and divide by 1000. This is the capacity in litres (if my GCSE physics/maths is correct)

The capacity in litres, is the weight in kg of the water.

Whats its capacity in litres?

If its not specified, then work it out. You need the three dimensions in millimetres. Multiply them, and divide by 1000. This is the capacity in litres (if my GCSE physics/maths is correct)

The capacity in litres, is the weight in kg of the water.

No.
Either
As above but divide by 1000000 not 1000
Measure in meters multiply them out and multiply by 1000
Or easiest to measure in cm multiply them out and divide by 1000
Remember it add in an allowance for tank and rocks etc.

The capacity in litres, is the weight in kg of the water is indeed correct for pure water at its most dense at 5degC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back