Help with fitting a new extractor hood motor

I think I have found my performance problems. The section to the ceiling and the hoods exit hole is a round 100mm but then it changes to a flat channel 100mm x 50 mm. I held my hand over the exit on the hood without any pipe connected and there is what I would of thought plenty of blow there to extract well.
It seems the problem is the pinch point which I need to swap the 2 90 degree bends and 1.2m of flat ducting to 100mm round all the way.

Sponsored Links
7850mm² is the surface area of the exit.

5000mm² is the area of the ducting. Bends will impact flow- I have no idea how to calculate that.

The charcoal filters, if on the side of the motor, might be to stop the cooking fats from sticking to the blades.

I have a friend that purchased a wide but noisy extractor hood. He glued plates of car engine insulation in it. It made a massive difference to the noise levels- BTW, he checked the fire/temperature ratings first.

Thanks for the spec, I read somewhere that there is a max run length and for every bend you take have to off a certain amount from the length.
Yes it came with a carbon filter wach side but pretty sure that were for the hood to be used on recirculate so I have always used it with them off.
Interesting idea about the car engine stuff - the hood is quite noisy but from reading up that may be because of the reduction in air space at my round to circle bend.
Don't think the engine thing is a avenue i will go down I think it would just impeed the air flow within the hood space and be a greases trap fire hazard unless changed frequently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back