Help with foundations in this weather.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my footings dug and the concrete is due for delivery tomorrow. 8m3 of trenchfill.
Couple of quick questions..
As tomorrow is due to be nearly 30 degrees is there anything I should be doing to stop it going off too quickly ? Should I be doing it in that heat at all.The supplier has said they will send it out at a 120 slump to help. will this be good enough? should I ask for any additives?

With regards to leveling it off, can I use 2x2 stakes every 6feet in the centre of the trench? or is there a better way of measuring.

The readymix truck will be able to pour into one corner of the footing, will it flow enough to go round the whole trench?

How long will I have to get it level before it becomes too stiff.

What is the best tool to use for the final surface prep ( float?)

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

For info, footings are for a detached single skin blockwork garage, 7m x 4m so not subject to BC. However as it is clay I am doing 600mm deep by 500mm wide footings ( is this enough, I am guessing it is overkill?)

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
For info, footings are for a detached single skin blockwork garage, 7m x 4m so not subject to BC. However as it is clay I am doing 600mm deep by 500mm wide footings ( is this enough, I am guessing it is overkill?)

Thanks

Alex

Probably not enough for clay. Do you have any steel rebar to hand? If not, rush out and get some!

Don't worry too much, run some in the trench to start, see how it flows, if it's a bit stiff, get them to wet it up. It doesn't have to be very strong at all and the strength that it will be coming in at is waaaay over the top for what is required.

Pegs in to level is fine, you'll have to rake it around some of the excavation most likely, you don't need any special surface finish on it: raked and tamped with the back of the rake is fine.

You might get some shrinkage cracks in it, but that's not a problem, it's only a footing. For a garage.

Clay min depth 900mm, providing no significant trees or vegetation nearby. That's not to say it won't be ok at 600mm, but if it's hard to dig out at that level, then you could do with going down a bit further.

Sponsored Links

Thanks

Alex

Probably not enough for clay. Do you have any steel rebar to hand? If not, rush out and get some!

OK, follow on stupid question, how much, how deep, what size,does it need to be wired together. Or am I better just trench filling (which would give me 900mm deep (but cost a bloody fortune!!)

Thanks

If it was me? I'd leave it at the depth you've dug and bung some B283 mesh (or whatever in excess of A252 you can get at short notice) in it, pushed in 50 to 100mm once all the concrete's in, 450 laps as necessary.

As tomorrow is due to be nearly 30 degrees is there anything I should be doing to stop it going off too quickly ? Should I be doing it in that heat at all.

It wont be 30 degrees in the trench - probably 5-10 degrees

And you have the flawed premise that the weather men will actually get it right. If they predict 30 degrees and sun, then order the mix with extra cement and frost proofer, and hire a tarp.

With regards to what you should be doing, then in 30 degrees you should be sitting in a sun lounger sipping drinks. I would be.

Thanks Guys,
got hold of the mesh as you suggested, added £110 to the cost, but worth it for peace of mind.
Got the guy to wet it some, but still bloody hard work getting it round the trench, in that heat.
Brickie arrives tomorrow. :)
Once again this forum and the people who post answers are a godsend. Also a great place to get advice and learn from.
Cheers
Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back