Help with Garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am upgrading my Garage electrics and need help on the items i'll need.

It is detached but is supplied Via SWA running from a 16A breaker on my Consumer unit.

I want to renew the lot : Wiring in the garage(obviously), lights, sockets,switches etc.

I want 2 strip lights run from 2 switches (2 way), 3 double sockets and a 2 way board. A nice simple job.

Questions:
Do i need a ip55 or higher rated 2 way board ?
Do the sockets and switches need to be metal cased/clad ?
is there a required ip rating needed for the Strip lights ?
Should i encase all wiring in Metal tubular conduit ?

Any help would be much apprieciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your circuit to the garage will provide a max of 16amps.
Probably it is because the SWA installed is only 2.5mm²?

Is this RCD protected?

If that is the case, there is no need to have a two way board in the garage, Simply provide a couple of double sockets and a FCU fused at 3 amps for the lights.

Q&A
Do i need a ip55 or higher rated 2 way board ?
Why, does your garage leak?

Do the sockets and switches need to be metal cased/clad ?
Its in a garage with heavy stuff being moved round so I would use metalclad.

Is there a required ip rating needed for the Strip lights ?
Why, does your garage leak?

Should i encase all wiring in Metal tubular conduit ?
Use plastic, unless you enjoy lots of work and want to buy expensive dies and pipe bending equipment.

Don't forget this is notifiable work!

Sponsored Links
Hi
The garage has just had a new roof put on it so hopefully it won't leak (anymore !)

I thought i needed a IP55 rated Unit , if not , great.
Same with the lights.

Good thought with the plastic conduit, didn't think of all the extra work.

advice welcome

So :

I need the sockets and switches to be metal cased/clad.
I can make do with Standard Strip lights ?
I can Encase all wiring in plastic tubular conduit ?

Should i get a ip55 rated 2 way board ? or a standard one ?
Also i take it i need just 1.5mm wire for lights and 2.5mm Wire for the Sockets ?
Probably obvious i know, but just want to be sure.

Any links to products would be great or recommended Sellers please.

Dann , your obviously doing this work yourself. Be advized that you have a Legal obligation to inform your Local Building Control Dept BEFORE you start, and they will need to inspect it before and after.
...Big fine hanging over you if you dont, they could also force you ro rip it all out again

Dann , your obviously doing this work yourself. Be advized that you have a Legal obligation to inform your Local Building Control Dept BEFORE you start, and they will need to inspect it before and after.
...Big fine hanging over you if you dont, they could also force you ro rip it all out again

They need to inspect "BEFORE" i start ??

My mate has a Part P registered friend who will inspect,test and notify Build regs for me.

Hi Dann. I intended to say the B.C will need to be informed Before you start and will inspect at 1st And 2nd fix stages...Sorry !

My mate has a Part P registered friend who will inspect,test and notify Build regs for me

The Part P registered Spark can certainly Inspect & Test the finished job for you in order to produce a P.I.R for your work. He cannot issue an Electrical Installation certificate because only the person or company actually doing the work is allowed to issue one to cover THEIR work.
He certainly cannot Self-Certtify [Notify} the work for the same reason

If you Notify B.C beforehand then they may agree to accept a P.I.R but the rules are that an EIC should be issued to cover the work

Don't forget this is notifiable work!

Is it though? If he's not putting a mini CU in the Garage, but using the FCU approach for the lights, and the circuit to the garage already exists and no changes are needed to the circuit protection in the CU in the house, ie correctly rated MCB and RCD protection is already there, then it's not.

"Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (e) and consists of:
Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (f)
Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (f)"

"f. Detached garages and sheds are not special
locations. Work within them is notifiable only
if it involves new outdoor wiring."

So this is an addition of lighting points and sockets outlets to an exisiting circuit, so not notificable.

Dave your reply contained a fair number of assumptions..ie. ifs and buts..
You are right about the possible no requirement for Notification..however there are a lot of consdiderations to be taken into account before advising against it.... If you look at the O.P. it did state he was intending to" renew the lot", and during the thread on two occaisons enquired for advice on the type of 2-way c.u. to install, we can only advize on the questions and information provided to us by the o.p, and therefore as things stand Notification is required.

Yes, but the constraints for it being non-notifiable were clearly stated. The intention being to get the OP to consider if he could meet them and thus simplify the job.

There were no assumptions, just two conditions if you read it properly, since we already know that the circuit to the garage exists and he did not say he was going replace that

1) IF
(the circuit protection in the house CU is adequate) AND (he uses the CFU approach for the lights rather than a mini-CE)
THEN
it's not notifiable
ELSE
is almost certainly is
ENDIF

Simples.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back