help with hip rafter sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of having an extension and loft conversion on my bungalow but appear to have a problem with the structural engineers calcs.
My existing hip rafters are 5" x1.5" and approx 7m long.
Now the engineer has specified that the new hip rafters on the back need to be 12" x2" :eek: and yet the roof will not be taking any etra load in that area, This is proving troublesome as i cannot gey timber that size and will also cause me problems with boarding out the corners.

He has also said that all rafters need to be bolted to the floor joists with M16 bolts. Great but where do I get M16 dog tooth connectors from? They only come in M12.

Any advice please as engineer is being a knob :evil:

Sponsored Links
Wow!

How deep are the rafters and what is the pitch of the roof?

Are there any purlins involved and if so are they fully supported?

Is there a room in the roof?

All rafters are 150x50 there is also a structural Ashlar wall to form a room upstairs, this wall will support the hip timber on it's way down so the total unsupported span will be 4.5m and yet he is still asking for 2 lengths of 225x50 joined together with bolts giving a total hip size of 225x100. He's a complete dick head, even building control said he had it wrong but I need the sign off on this

LOL. Oh structural engineers and their software :rolleyes:

There is normally no load on a hip rafter (we've done this in previous threads).

Ask the engineer for his calculations to prove the timber section required, and why a smaller section is inadequate

Sponsored Links
Your engineer has designed the hip member for half of the load from the jack rafters. This is very conservative, but having worked as an SE for the last six years, I've found that this is the approach that most engineers take, even though it's wrong.

Any calculations that he provides will show this is what is required, but it doesn't take into account the fact that the hip member and jack rafters create a kind of truss where the hip supports the jacks, and in turn, the jacks support the hip.

As Woody said, we've covered this in a previous thread, and I set up an accurate 3D computer model of a hip roof.
This proved that the hip member takes virtually no load other than it's own weight.

Therefore it's perfectly acceptable to use a hip member that sized to take the cut end of the jack rafters, and a sensible width such as 1.5". This is the kind of size used on hipped roofs for years without any problems.

Getting your SE to accept this is another matter though...

Thanks guys for your replies, ive had no joy from the enginner, in order to reduce the 300mm depth ive now had to opt for a 225 x100 on each hip rafter.

I suppose it will be useful if i ever decide to land a helicopter on the roof :confused:

RonnyRaygun: I know this thread is old but....

I understand what you're getting at in your post, and agree that according to your analysis the hip beam will have a low load due to the 3D truss type action, however, I think there's more to it…

The truss forces you describe depend on the jack rafters working in axial compression which, at wall plate level, will resolve into vertical AND horizontal thrust components. This is just like a pair of opposing common rafters, where compression is generated in the rafters and the resultant forces at the wall plate resolve into the vertical load (taken by the wall) and opposing horizontal thrusts taken via the ceiling joist (acting as a tie) to cancel each other out.

In the hip situation, however, rafters on one side of the hip will (probably) be running perpendicular to ceiling joists so - even assuming there is a set of opposing hip jack rafters on the other end of the roof - there are no tie members to connect and cancel out these opposing thrusts at wall plate level. As such, the system relies on the wall to resist the thrust of the hipped jack rafters - not ideal. Suitably detailed ties perpendicular to the ceiling joists (often found forming double duty as ceiling binders) can address this.

Whether they know it or not, the approach by many structural engineers to say the hip rafter takes half the vertical load of each jack rafter means that (if the bottom of the jack rafter is birds-mouthed onto the wall plate) no net axial load exists at supports and so the wall only receives vertical load. It would be interesting to see what restraints were used in your model, and what the horizontal reactions were at the base of the untied jack rafters.

Taking things a step further, in the case of an asymmetric (single) hip arrangement, if you assume no load taken by the hip rafter (and that the jack rafters develop compression as above) then in-plane diaphragm action of the main roof pitches is required for overall stability as there's no equalising thrust from an opposing hip. Diaphragm action does no doubt exist, with in-plane distortion of the roof being resisted by tile-batten to rafter connections (forming vierendeel-like truss resistance), in-plane bracing/sarking (if present) and the friction of overlapping tiles. Good luck quantifying some of those though. You could also say the wall plate receiving hip jack rafters (parallel to CJ's) is working as a beam to resist horizontal thrust, but if taking this approach you'd need to make sure the wall plate is man enough and that it's ends can pass the reactions developed into something that can take it (maybe strap it to the perpendicular wall plate and pass load down into the wall below to resist it in shear). Another alternative is to strap hip jack rafters across enough ceiling joists to satisfy yourself that 'diaphragm' action of the ceiling deck will suffice (although note that in the symmetric hip case, the diaphragm needs to be continuous for opposing forces to reach and cancel each other out, and in the asymmetric case the unbalanced load does actually need to go somewhere). You don't need to strap every jack rafter as the thrusts from unstrapped rafters can be transferred via the wall plate spanning between strapped rafters if suitable fixings exist. This diaphragm principle is also in use when ceiling joist spans change locally at the end of a roof to pick up the hip jack rafter feet. These approaches can also be used with balanced (symmetric) hips to avoid the need for long connecting ties (useful in loft extensions when there's no room for binders or ties would clash with nested floor joists).

I'm sure unintentional combinations of all/some of these above load-paths and resistances are the reason so many roofs stand up, even though the design analysis doesn't represent the real behaviour and load paths.

Could be wrong though, so interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
well the roof I am working on at the moment has a hip rafters of 11x1 3/4"
and it could not be less as the rafters and purlins would not catch the hip rafter
it also has dragon beams to stop the hips from spreading.
Its been working well for nearly a century so far.

Its been working well for nearly a century so far.

Probably because it's been properly detailed with the dragon beams to stop the spread as you say. And at that depth, that's a fairly strong hip member anyway (although it's all relative to span).

Hello Hillbilly, I guess you are an SE yourself?

In all honesty, I can't remember exactly how the model was set up, and unfortunately I no longer have the model or access to 3D software to set up a new one. I do know it was difficult to get the restraints and supports right so that they had the correct releases or fixity in each direction.

But I do agree with everything you say. I can't remember exactly what axial forces came out of the model with regard to the hip, but I do know that the bending forces were zero, just as they would be for a ridge board. Similarly, there will always be axial loads in a ridge board, but no-one ever designs for them, it's just taken to have sufficient capacity, and I would expect the hip to have the same.

It would be interesting to set up a model once more, and also set up a one sided hip roof model to see what the differences are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back