Help with identifying ceiling material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first of many post i'm sure.

We moved into a cottage last year built c1850 which has been refurbed/extended at various times and i'm trying to identify what the material is which is fitted above the joists in our dining room, see pics below.

It looks and feels like it's made from paper but i've searched the web and can't determine what it is. The surface has a rough finish like paper mache and it's around 12mm thick.

I'm hoping someone may recognise it.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain asbestos as it hasn't got a fibrous look to it, but i may be wrong.

Thanks in advance for any info

Mike

Sponsored Links
I think we used to call it particle board - the sort of material notice boards can be made from? Someone's way of prenting heat loss, I would imagine.
John :)

John, thanks for reply but it's definately not particle board.

It's not made from any wood material, it looks more layered close up.

Sponsored Links
The texture on the surface and on the edge look to me like a board that was sold as tentex board but is more likely to be sold as insulation board nowadays, cheap and cheerful I've done my workshop roof in it.

I originally typed in sundela board as I racked my brain to remember tentex (and even that may be spelt wrong) .
The two are similiar but sundela is denser and a hell of a lot more expensive.

Thanks for the correct spelling jason. When I went to my local timber merchant the young lad stared blankly when I used the name but his older boss set him right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back