Help with installation of Hive Active Heating Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I please get some help with installing a newly purchased Hive Active Heating Thermostat. I have attached a picture of what the wiring on my current thermostat looks like. There's a total of 3 wires:

Blue
Brown
Yellow/Green(Which is not currently connected and seems to be cut short).

Do I have all the correct wires to get this installed? If all OK with wires would you know where the wires would need to go.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
It depends on the system that the thermostat is connected to. So some extra basic information is required.

1) How do you get hot water? is your boiler a combi that provides instantaneous hot water to the taps, or do you have hot water stored in a hot water cylinder somewhere?

2) The Hive combines both time and temperature control in one unit. It replaces both the programmer/timeswitch and the thermostat. You have only shown a photo of the thermostat, what is presently controlling the heating on/off times?

3) What version of the Hive do you have, the Single or Dual Channel version?

Hi Stem, Thanks for the response.

I have a combi boiler that provides instantaneous hot water to the taps.

OK sounds like it would be the front panel of the boiler I would need to change then?
I have added a picture to show you the front. There's no other programmers anywhere else.

I bought heating only version of Hive, but sounds like I should have gotten heating and hot water.

amazon.co. uk/Hive-Heating-Thermostat-Professional-Installation/dp/B011B3J6KY?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_db8a1e6b_NA&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

Attachments

• IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
OK thanks. For a combi, you have the correct Hive. (The dual channel version is for systems with separate hot water cylinders)

The wires in the existing thermostat that go to terminals 1 and 3 are the switching wires. You will be pleased to know that they also would connect to the Hive Single Channel terminals 1 (Common) and 3 (Heating on)

Your existing thermostat is purely mechanical in operation, but the Hive receiver is not, it needs a mains 230V supply to operate it. This will need to be added. The 230V supply should come from the same 3A fused spur that supplies the boiler.

Once the Hive is installed, the existing time control that is part of the boiler should be set to be 'on' permanently 24/7 otherwise it will interfere with the operation of the Hive.

It may be easier to install the receiver near the boiler if you can access the thermostat cable en route to the thermostat, then the 230V supply will be close by.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for confirming that Stem.

I'm guessing the 3rd Yellow/Green unused wire (can be screen in the 2nd pic) would be the mains you're referring to. This does directly come from the boiler. Would that need to go in L terminal?

The green / yellow wire by its colour is designated as an earth wire. It may be connected to earth at the other end, or it may be cut off at the other end as well. Either way it cannot be used as the 230V supply, you should run a new cable for that with a separate new Live and Neutral from the 3A fused supply that goes to the boiler.

OK this doesn't sound very straight forward then. I'll see if I can pay someone else to install it.

I probably haven't helped by not describing it too well. This is what you should have now:

Now.jpg
If the thermostat cable can be accessed near the boiler, then the below can be done which avoids running a new 230V supply all the way out to where the old thermostat is located. The Hive receiver doesn't have to be located where the existing thermostat is, it will communicate with the Hive thermostat wirelessly.

Hive.jpg
But you are absolutely right. If your are in any doubt or don't feel confident you can do it safely, you should get a professional to do it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back