Help with installing a bathroom vanity unit and sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a keen diyest and have recently re-done my showerroom. I only have a vanity unit style sink left to plumb in to complete the job but am having problems getting a plumber out to install it for me as no-one seems interested in such a small job. There is already a sink there so pipework is already in place. Can anyone tell me how easy it would be to install this myself and where to start as I have never attempted plumbing before. I also live on the 3rd floor so any mistakes I make may be felt by 3 neighbours!

Sponsored Links
was the old washbasin a pedastal basin?

do the existing pipes run close to the wall or come up through the floor close to the wall?

does the waste pipe run along the floor or go under the floor?

this will have implications for how you locate the new waste and supply pipes... get back with more info and you'll get summore advice

nearly said cant be bothered answering you... its too small a job...

and yes you shoulkd be capable of doin the work yourself

the existing basin is a small cloakroom basin that is wall hanging. It currenly has two taps. The new sink has a mixer tap.

the pipes and waste both run close to the wall and join the main water and waste pipes for the flat which come into this room and run up the wall about a foot away from the sink (they are waiting to be boxed in once the new sink is installed).

thanks for your help - i'm getting quite excited with the idea of finishing this room! (it was started last june...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back