help with keston 170 rubbish

Look at the Atag Q series. They are based near you too so you might be able to cadge a visit from their tech guru Wayne. Their flue options are pretty flexible.

Remember the phrase though:

Champagne ideas, beer money.

That's what got you directly or indirectly, into this position in the first place.

Sponsored Links
You should never leave the front off the boiler!

The fan motor is part of the " gas train " as its required for combustion.

The motor start cap is responsible for the starting torque but the bearings should be very free.

I cannot give any gas advice on an open forum.

We have a dedicated part of this site just for gas reg engineers. Your engineer should ask there but few enthuse about those boilers.

Have you asked BG if they will provide their cover for your boilers? Namsag says that BG will cover any age boiler.

Tony

Sadly we do. It's now almost impossible to fail a first visit on any boiler. Breaks my heart to take these turds on contract.

Sponsored Links
:eek: Jesus! BG must be getting desperate. I only now look at these if they're preexisting. Otherwise it is with a view to replace or just a basic service.

You should never leave the front off the boiler!

The fan motor is part of the " gas train " as its required for combustion.

Have you asked BG if they will provide their cover for your boilers? Namsag says that BG will cover any age boiler.

Tony

That is why I am getting the engineer to replace it to make sure its all safe after I do the bearings.

Will leaving the covers off have affected its starting reliability?

Have contacted Atag and they have sent drawings of theirs so I will see it is fits. Our flue space is very tight.

Good idea to try BG although don’t want to annoy our new man as I know him personally and have only just taken him on for this. We have 4 boilers altogether that he covers.

I can understand your reluctance to give gas advice here but the fact is that the customer who is there day by day could pick up a better view of the boiler’s behaviour than a engineer who comes in occasionally and the wretched boiler probably works on the day he comes. So he thinks “The user says it sometimes fails to light and failure to light sounds like spark problems as nothing else looks wrong, so I will replace the control box and igniter yet again”. I am a mechanical and electrical engineer and fix loads of stuff but don’t do gas repairs.

On a totally separate matter I have a 7 year old combi boiler in a small flat maintained by the same engineer that needs topping up 3-4 times a year. Was once a year when newish. Is this normal or have I a leak? There is no visible leak so it is either dripping from the CH pipes under the concrete floor or there is a leak inside the combustion chamber where I can’t see it.

A gasket will require replaceing when splitting case to access impellor which in turn is part of the gas train ............Mmmmmm. , why not send the blower for an overhaul? , you will possibly have the swirl chamber filters replaced at the same time , shouldn't cost anymore than £150/£200 , new replacement is in the region of 600 notes.

If you are good with pulling bearings off then you will probably be able to replace them they are only industry bearings.

Tony

Naughty naughty Tony , are you not aware regards how these bearings are accessed?

Now got a reply from Keston who say that spark gap may need adjusting. Speaking as an electrical engineer I can see that if it’s too big and marginal the spark will sometimes jump between the two spades as I observed rather than jump the spark gap. Won’t be doing it myself but will tell my engineer about it.

What boiler? Basically you want 2 remove the White wire from the air pressure switch, ONLY the White!!! And if the pink wire from the flow overheat is in terminal 1 then move that into the terminal you just took that White wire from(terminal 7 I believe) if it's not in terminal 1 then just leave it and u should be good 2 go!

Some of the harness's that were made from the factory that comes with the new board had 2 wires the wrong way round. Just look on the diagram and u shud be able 2 work it out which 2, if you can't I will attempt 2 xplain

What an absolute load of rubbish! I have just purchased a new PCB but you failed to tell me it had to be converted and the 2 wiring diagrams sent did not match that of my K170 so you cost me further money with a wasted call out with my plumber!
Your customer service is appalling and you have supplied me with a product that is 'NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE' and under THE SALE OF GOODS ACT you are liable to not only provide a product that works properly and reliably but you are also liable to provide a SERVICE that is FIT FOR PURPOSE. You have FAILED in both areas.
So because you have built and supplied crap some company called Ideal has come along and taken you over for peanuts coz you are worthless just like your products. Half the problem is the staff at Keston who built the crap in the first place and didn't give a toss about the quality. After selling the crap products you added insult to injury and fobbed your customers off and your own technical staff don't have a clue...one minute your bloke says one thing the next minute your lass says another so you contradict yourself with the same problems time and time again.
I am now left with no heating and it's minus 2 here at the moment and you don't even have any trained engineers who are capable of coming to me to sort the problem out.
Your attitude is 'if its out of warranty tough luck' .....well don't blame me if you lose your job and ideal goes bust or burns down...it would be the best thing that could happen all round and prevent more anguish to decent British citizens who bought from you in good faith and believed the crap you told us to convince us to buy your crap in the first place.
Christmas card, have a laugh I'd wouldn't pee on you when you catch fire.
County Court summons on its way and much blogging to ensure you and Ideal lose as much business as possible.

You do realise that your understandable rant is on a 2009 post and that "Keston" is a user and not the company that makes the absolute nightmare boiler that you have the misfortune to own

I think that "Keston" was actually associated with the company.

Not seen lately though.

His grammar and spelling would be rather embarrassing for the Company though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back