Help with lighting circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two switch plate that controls upstairs hall and downstairs hallway.
here is a picture of the wiring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I tested to see which were the switch lives, and those two browns came up as switch lives for the downstairs, and brown/blue respective for the other.

im a little confused as to how to arrange the wiring as i'll be using a terminal block. any ideas?
cheers
btw im sure that i cant terminate the lives as they supply the upstairs. not sure but someone with more knowledge would know
thankyou

Sponsored Links
Is that how you found it?

With the two cores in the cable coming down vertically from the top of the picture connected together, and the cores from the other cable connected to nothing?

And the light works?

And no fuses/MCBs blow or trip?

yes your quite right ignore the wiring that was me just putting them in for picture purposes

i've wired it this way, brown with brown, blue/blue im then left with two browns which when i tested on multimeter gave me a reading when i flipped the switch which was the downstairs light.

now the upstairs ones work but not the downstairs.

what do i do next?
thanks

Sponsored Links
i aprecciate any help but, i did sort that problem out by myself in the end.
this time im just faced with more wires, can the two browns be switch live and neutral?

i aprecciate any help but, i did sort that problem out by myself in the end.
this time im just faced with more wires, can the two browns be switch live and neutral?

The two browns will go to the switch, and normally wired as L and switched L. The rest should be pretty easy to figure out from the diagrams in the WIKI. In this case, the blue wires will be neutral, although it's more normal to find brown/blue cores sleeved brown instead of twin brown cable for the switch drop.

yes ive looked at the diagram but just cant figure out why where these two wires are to be joined with.
ive got the upstairs working ok from the switch but the feed to the next one i've messed up.

any ideas? i cant take a pic at the min but i'll try and draw a diagram of what i've done.

Ok, this is becoming a little painful, so let's join up the dots.

Step one, turn off the power and check for safe isolation.

Assuming this is the only light controlled by that switch, the two brown/blue T+E cables will be live loop in and out. The twin brown will be the switch drop.

You should connect both blue cores together and also to the Neutral connection on the light fitting.

You should connect ONE brown cable from the twin brown wire to the Live connection on the light fitting.

You should connect the remaining three brown wires together.

You should sleeve all the bare copper CPCs/earths in green/yellow and connect them together. You should also connect this to the earth tag/connection on the light fitting, if there is one.

Assuming this is the only light controlled by that switch, the two brown/blue T+E cables will be live loop in and out. The twin brown will be the switch drop.

You should connect both blue cores together and also to the Neutral connection on the light fitting.

You should connect ONE brown cable from the twin brown wire to the Live connection on the light fitting.

You should connect the remaining three brown wires together.

You should sleeve all the bare copper CPCs/earths in green/yellow and connect them together. You should also connect this to the earth tag/connection on the light fitting, if there is one.

thankyou

electronicsuk";p="1678490 said:

Assuming this is the only light controlled by that switch, the two brown/blue T+E cables will be live loop in and out.

its a twin switch that controls upstairs/downstairs, would i still put browns together? as one would be the upstairs switch live.

thx

Enigmatic - PLEASE call an electrician before you hurt yourself.

If you want to pay a fortune in call out fees, go ahead.

Its a bl00dy light circuit, its not rocket science. I would reccommend he gets someone in to help with a slightly better understanding though.

If he isolates the circuit, gets someone to double check his wiring, he will eliminate that problem.

You dont need to pay a mambership fee to install a light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back