Help with long wall fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a fence with matching gate, the problem I have is the gate won't open fully, it opens three quarters of the way then hits the brickwork of the shed its hung from. The gate needs to open this way so the only way I think I can make it work is by changing the rail it's hung from which I believe is 1 1/2" thickness to a 3" post which would ideally be screwed bolted into the brickwork. I don't really want to put a post into the ground as I have only recently concreted the area.

I really need advice as to what are the best fixings on the market to make a really tight job.

Do I use a long screw with rawl plug? Concrete screws? A long bolt type screw with hexagonal head? I'm a bit lost, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Paul

Sponsored Links
If the existing post is firmly fixed why not just screw another 1 1/2 post to the existing?
Long screws and rawlplugs would be fine though for a new post, as long as you don't have to drill too near the corner of the brick shed. Come back at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a brick from the edge, a full brick is even better if you can do it.

footprints

paulwilson";p="2746331 said:
I have built a fence with matching gate, the problem I have is the gate won't open fully, it opens three quarters of the way then hits the brickwork of the shed its hung from. The gate needs to open this way so the only way I think I can make it work is by changing the rail it's hung from which I believe is 1 1/2" thickness to a 3" post which would ideally be screwed bolted into the brickwork. I don't really want to put a post into the ground as I have only recently concreted the area.

I really need advice as to what are the best fixings on the market to make a really tight job.

Do I use a long screw with rawl plug? Concrete screws? A long bolt type screw with hexagonal head? I'm a bit lost, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Paul[/q
Would seem you mounted it incorrectly if it's binding, any Pics?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back