Help with new bthrm flooring - underneath hanging cabinet??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm not exactly sure where to put this question so I'm trying here. (Please let me know if I should move it to get better responses.)

Also, warning that I know next to zero about remodeling stuff. I'm a wimpy girl but I did help my dad (as a child) and a friend (a few yrs ago) lay tile plus some wall plastering stuff. Never laid vinyl or anything else.

There is a bathroom in my house that I really would like to improve. I don't have much money so I was thinking if I could at least replace the floor it would be a huge improvement. I would love tile, but I'm thinking that vinyl is much cheaper (correct if wrong here) so I didn't post in the tile forum.

Regardless of which flooring I go with, the main issue I don't know how to deal with is this huge hanging cabinetry. The entire room is about 9 foot long and 6 feet wide. The cabinetry is around 6 feet long and includes 7 drawers, 2 swinging cabinets directly under the sink and then a big open space where you can see the wall behind the cabinetry. It looks as though it was designed for one to sit down in a chair so your legs can be underneath the counter. The real bummer to this hanging thing is that it's only about 6 inches up from the floor so a crazy amount of dirt and grossness gets underneath it and it is hard to get even a mop or broom under there, much less hands to redo the flooring under it.

Photo: View media item 25284
Can anyone recommend how to deal with this cabinetry? I have tried to research and have not found much of anything helpful.

Ideas I have thought of are:

1) Ignore it by just 'trying' to tear out old vinyl floor the best I can and then when laying the new flooring, only lay it like 10 inches or so from the edge of the hanging cabinet. This would not be ideal cuz it would look bad (if you got on your hands and knees to look) and it would draw even more dirt since the flooring underneath would no longer be "flat". If there was a way to keep it flat underneath, I might choose this option just cuz it would be cheapest.

2) Build a "faux" base to the cabinetry. I don't know the best way to do this so I'd need suggestions here. I'm hoping it wouldn't be a huge cost. I was thinking to get wood boards or something and lay it underneath the edges of the cabinet. I'd need to figure out a way to adhere into place. Then I could put my own base boards around it. This would allow the vinyl flooring to 'end' properly and would close off the issue with cleaning underneath the cabinetry.

3) Tear out entire cabinetry and replace it. But this is just too expensive to do right now I think.

4) Your suggestions!

Other than the main big issue, the other question I have is if any of you have a basic price estimate for redoing the floor with something like this: http://tiny.cc/l6ryc ($0.68 per 12"x12")
As stated, the bathroom is about 9 foot by 6. I don't know the cost of whatever all the other tools and things will be that I need to buy. Links on how to do project appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
This is a UK website and prices for labour and materials will be different here.

Sponsored Links
the gap is probably designed so you can get out your knees and brush or swab it clean, and to prevent water, damp or insects accumulating there that you can't clean out.

it will not get disgusting if you clean it regularly. otherwise it will get a thick layer of dust from exfoliated skin, as well as mites eating the dust, and spiders eating the mites. If you box it in you will not be able to clean it, but the dust and insects will still accumulate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back