Help with new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
I hate fitting new lights, they are always so fiddly and their design is often without thought given to how the consumer will fit them!

Anyway, my problem is this - I have a new light to fit but there is no way that I will be able to tuck the mass of wires and connector blocks into the housing of the light in order for it to be flush to the ceiling. This particular light has a rather small housing too. So, what I want to know is whether there is some sort of neat extension box thingy that you can buy to fit to the ceiling which will cunningly house all the pesky wires which the new light fitting can then be fitted to?

My house is about 5 years old and the amount of wires poking through the ceiling in many of the rooms seems excessive but then what do I know - I'm not a sparkie.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes, its called a 'ChocBox'. It houses a terminal strip and made for the job. You'd need to make a hole in the ceiling big enought for it to go into though...
U can get them at any electrical wholesaler or the other suspects..

Yes, its called a 'ChocBox'. It houses a terminal strip and made for the job. You'd need to make a hole in the ceiling big enought for it to go into though...
U can get them at any electrical wholesaler or the other suspects..

Thanks for that. I have had a look above the ceiling (in the loft) and have located the where the cables go through. Presumably I could pull the cabling back through and tidy up the wiring with a ChocBox and mount the box in the loft and then feed just the Neutral, Live and Earth wires that I need back through the hole in the ceiling?

That's correct.

Your OP didn't refer to loft being on the other side of your ceiling, I'd tend to suggest backing away from the choc box and using a junction box instead.

These units are available everywhere- DIY sheds and electrical wholesalers

AAJB20.JPG

Sponsored Links
That's correct.

Your OP didn't refer to loft being on the other side of your ceiling, I'd tend to suggest backing away from the choc box and using a junction box instead.

These units are available everywhere- DIY sheds and electrical wholesalers

AAJB20.JPG

Sorry about that - should've been more specific. Thanks for the help. I'll get one of those then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back