help with pump application please..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a neat little pump that I want to use to empty my fish tank.
Basically the pump has the inlet / outlet that I would like to attach some normal hose pipe.

ok there are a couple of brass fittings in their already basically looking at the picture below the left has a 1" male thread to 3/4" female and on the right hand side 1" male to 1" male.
Incidently I think my measurements are correct I used a vernier and threads were either just over or under 1" (male / female) and just under 3/4 for the other fitting.

pump.jpg

If I remove fittings there are two 1" female threads.

What is the best way to attach a hose to this setup with minimal fuss / expendature?

Help appreciated,

Olly.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick note about thread sizes - the nominal sizes of BSP threads refer to the bore of the pipe the thread would be cut on the outside of.
If the thread is about 1" diameter, then the nominal size would be 3/4" BSP (3/4" hole in the middle plus about 2 X 1/8" for the pipe wall thickness either side = 1")

Likewise, 1/2" BSP thread is about 3/4" diameter, and 1" BSP is about 1 1/4"

http://www.tapdie.com/html/tapping_drills_for_taps.html
The BSP column shows the minor diameter of the threads.

Remove the 1/2 - 3/4 reducer, fit a 3/4 nipple into the inlet, and a couple of garden hose adaptors as Seco suggests.

You may find some 3/4" BSP male hose adaptors that will screw straight into the pump body at a garden / aquatics centre.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help folks I will go to my local shed on next opportunity...

considering you know absolutely nothing of the situation you might want to reserve judgment. For a start there are no fish in the tank yet.
If you are referring to potentially dangerous flow rate then yes that is something I will consider on first testing the unit. Now if you are referring to breakdown of insulation the motor has been tested and is fine. Besides there will be about 5 meters of hose between tank and motor and RCD protection So what else is there?

EDIT: I meant to ask, are you a troll?

I will when it comes to maintaining the tank as this will require a short length of pipe and not the whole lot of water I don't fancy getting the water started in 5+ meters of hose..

I only filled the tank to look for scratches now need to empty so I can get to work with some Jewlers rouge.

And besides I just wanted to see how the pump performed god dammit can't people just get simple answers round here ;) :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back