Help with quality of work, re-roofed Victorian terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone please advise on whether or not this work is to an acceptable standard, the roof on the house we have just purchased had sagging and obvious problems. The contractor said to remove slates, replace spars as required and re felt, baton, slate.

The work has now been completed but I have some concerns: on looking into the roof I have seen that the angle some of the spars are cut to meet the ridge beam are not right, they are not flush to the ridge beam and so only in contact near the top or the spars, I feel the strength is compromised and there is a risk that they may slip off the ridge. In one picture a visible split in the spar can be seen where you would expect as the point of the spar is compressed on contact with the ridge beam.

my concern is that as spars had slipped off the ridge causing us to have this re roof, we are going to be paying someone to do a poor job resulting in the same problem in the future.

I am hoping any professionals can offer opinions on the work, is it done to a satisfactory standard, if not what is the likelihood of failure/collapse and what are the options to fix the problem?

many thanks

samsam
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links

The new rafters looks the wrong size to the old rafters?

Not very professional, what type of roof tiles have you got?

However, the roof can be strengthen inside

thanks for the reply,

the tiles are slate, very big, some almost 2 ft by 3ft and yes the new timber is not the same width although similar depth.

Contractor has not been paid yet so i am trying to get some knowledge/opinions of what needs doing to correct (if anything).

any assistance would be gratefully received on how to proceed

thanks

sam

on second thoughts masona i dont think the depth is as great as te originals,
the photo you copied is one of a spar which wasnt replaced even though it is in no contact with the ridge beam but for the nail running through it!

should this not have been replaced?

samsam

Sponsored Links
I can't see the whole roof structure but I think you will need to get a roof inspection report via a surveyor although there're company just do roof inspection, they do weight calulation etc or a good carpenter should be able to help you. 'fraid there're a lot of cowboys out there :cry:

You're too far from me :cry:

thanks for the advise,

I will try to find a roof inspector then and see what they think,

cheers

samsam

hi
have looked at the pics of your roof, the cuts are poor but so long as they are nailed they shuold be ok, any movement would be downwards which would force the rafters tigter to the ridge board, unlikly to fall below it.
If your realy concerned you could nail a batton to the ridge board just below the rafters.
spent 30 years just roofing.

Thanks enstonecops,

I appreciate your looking and advise, i was becoming more relaxed about it but i have now spotted what looks like the edge of a ply board just above the gutter, which looks as though it has been used instead of a slate!

pictures to follow,

cheers samsam

That does not sound good!

Also, considering its new work the rafters should be cut to fit flush against the ridge board, quite shocking what they've done really. I await the following pics of the other work :(

Are you sure the ply hasn't been used to replace sarking boards under the bottom courses of slates. But the rest of the work looks at best shoddy and maybe even inadequate.

Just an update,

I had my surveyor out as i needed to be sure what i was looking at and what needed sorting out, he raised several issues which have been spotted by many of you.

So it was strip and start again or attempt repairs and adjust price of job.

we have had the spas sistered up, the broken tiles replaced, the wood under the tiles at the gutter has now gone under the the felt instead of ontop of it!!! an area at te back has been adjusted to close some of the slate gaps and a bit of general jiggery pokery here and their.

we got a £600 reduction, which should be enough to pay a "proffesional" slater in the future to relay any sections properly should we need.

so for now thats the end of this tale, it could of been better but could have been worse,

so finally a big thanks to all who took the time to assist me with advice and comments,

cheers

sam
(next job concrete floor, see you in the building section!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back