Roof safety anchors for working on a pitched tile roof in the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scottish person here - There seem to be a lot of American solutions for roof safety anchor points - but American roofs are built differently.

I have seen examples of anchor points that get nailed/screwed into a rafter or ridge and protrude from under a slate or ridge cap.
Alternatively - removing a few slates and attaching a safety sling round internal timbers.
I prefer a solid anchor to throwing a rope over the ridge and tying off to a jamb anchor etc.

What is the go-to solution in the UK for temporary or permanent roof anchors on a Scottish slate roof?

P.S. I take responsibility for my own actions, use quality PPE and understand the risks of working at height.

Sponsored Links
Scottish person here - There seem to be a lot of American solutions for roof safety anchor points - but American roofs are built differently.

I have seen examples of anchor points that get nailed/screwed into a rafter or ridge and protrude from under a slate or ridge cap.
Alternatively - removing a few slates and attaching a safety sling round internal timbers.
I prefer a solid anchor to throwing a rope over the ridge and tying off to a jamb anchor etc.

What is the go-to solution in the UK for temporary or permanent roof anchors on a Scottish slate roof?

P.S. I take responsibility for my own actions, use quality PPE and understand the risks of working at height.
I have no idea what you are talking about. We use scaffold, if that's any good?

I've come across a few double-U anchors, in my time. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, scaffollding is the best option, but not always possible.

Mainly I'm interested in roof anchor points, not the method of roof access.

To clarify, here in Scotland it's quite common to gain roof access via a skylight window, then work around the roof using roof ladders and sometimes roof jack boards.

I have climbed out of skylights with a harness where necessary. If you can't tie it round the chimney then lift a ridge till and couple of slates and tie it round the ridge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you, scaffollding is the best option, but not always possible.

Mainly I'm interested in roof anchor points, not the method of roof access.

To clarify, here in Scotland it's quite common to gain roof access via a skylight window, then work around the roof using roof ladders and sometimes roof jack boards.
I have climbed out of skylights with a harness where necessary. If you can't tie it round the chimney then lift a ridge till and couple of slates and tie it round the ridge.
You lot are made of sterner stuff oop North.

How do you mange hand and power tools and materials whilst swinging from a chimney?

You lot are made of sterner stuff oop North.

How do you mange hand and power tools and materials whilst swinging from a chimney?
I have a harness so not really swinging about, I used it recently on an old mill to do small repairs, I used to use it more but Fred Dibnah and his gang have pulled most of them down. No need for power tools really, Just do it the same way as its been done for centuries ie. pouch, ripper& hammer and someone to pass you stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back