Help with replacement motherboard. :-)

J

joinerjohn

Hi all, last Friday i returned from a trip into town to find my computer no longer working. Speaking to the neighbours , it appears we may have had some sort of power surge. I've had the power supply tested and it's chucking out the proper voltages. My nephew has had a look and reckons the motherboard is U/S.
What I'm after now is a replacement mobo, one which will allow me to use whatever I can salvage from my computer.
The motherboard is an Asus PTGD1-LA. I have absolutely no idea what to replace it with. I've been searching the internet and so far all I know is I need a micro atx form factor, mobo with at least one PCI Express+16 slot and at least 2 pci slots. Must be Sata compatible, with at least 2 connectors for this and preferably around the same size as the present one (24.5cm x 24.5 cm). Would also have to have an LGA 775 socket for the cpu. I have seen some but the actual size is a bit smaller than mine. Would these fit into my case? (a HP Pavilion tower t760uk)

I might even look at a mobo/ cpu bundle just in case the cpu has gone too.
Any ideas what I should be looking for lads? Fairly cheap though. I dont want to be spending mega bucks on this.

Cheers
JJ

Sponsored Links
Do you see anything on the screen when you switch on ?

Don't want you to shell out for something you may not need.

Thanks for the reply Wanleg. The computer wont even start up. The PSU has a green light on the back which is flashing all the time. If I unplug the motherboard power connection the green light becomes solid. I did a search on the internet and found several answers as to why this would be. An electrician friend of mine came round and we tested the PSU only to find that it was chucking out the correct voltages, so we assume that it's workling fine. As said before, my nephew has had a look at it and reckons the mobo is at fault.
PSU is a Bestec ATX 300w. Not the best I know, but we know this is working. I have tried unplugging the graphics card and then plugging the comp in and the green light still flashes, so it does seem to be the motherboard.

You know it's working because you've 'tested' it.. by checking the voltages without any load. Bestec PSUs aren't just 'not the best', they're some of the worst. Check the PSU properly before you spend money.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Monkeh ;)
I took your advice and tried my PSU in a friends computer that had the same type of ATX PSU. Glad I did, it is the PSU that's faulty.
My electrician mate did check the voltages with me by linking pin13 to ground so the PSU was powered up and the pins all read the correct voltage. Obviously not enough amps though.
I did look at testers for power supplies on the internet but thought, I'd probably only be using it once so dismissed it as they cost around the £20 mark, although they do test the PSU under load. Something for a computer buff rather than an occasional opener of computer cases ;)
Thanks to all other contributers.

Cheers

John B

Those cheap PSU testers do not test the PSU under load. You need a great deal more hardware to dissipate the 300W+ of heat generated by that. A proper PSU testing rig is.. significantly larger.

Invest in a decent PSU, and a surge protected power supply. I once lost 3 PSU's in 3 days thanks to power surge and no surge protection

Quick Update:- Got a new PSU and computer was working fine, a day later it would switch itself off after anything from 20 seconds to a few minutes. Turns out that the processor has developed a fault with the temperature sensor. Bios says that it's running at 80 deg C, but physically measuring the temp of the heatsink as near to the processor as possible doesn't back this up. Had the processor tested and it's faulty. Should be replaced sometime this week. Grrrrrrrrr. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Final Update. Got the computer back, new motherboard, new processor, new ram.
All working fine now. Just need another ram module to bring memory up, but that can wait for a few weeks. :D :D

Just glad to have it back though.

Sponsored Links
Back