Help with rewire standard of work..(now with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Ive recently moved into a property which had a re-wire carried out approximately 8mths ago and since ive started to redecorate ive noticed things that dont seem quite right to me, so i was wondering if i could get some advice before he pops round later.

Bathroom: theres ele cables running alongside the feeds to the WHB, that seems to have some sort of junction box connecting 2 cables which has then been taped over with yellow and green striped tape. is this safe given the connection is below the WHB?

Loft: cables running to each light switch and sockets have been run across the loft space floor and not clipped to the joists etc. is this ok or is it me being picky? it just looks like a trip hazard and spaghetti junction up there?!

Bed 2: Ive lifted the floorboards and theres new cables been run over and on top of the heating pipework? surely this cant be safe? :eek: the pipework it copper and not insulated in anyway?

As hes coming back later i didnt want him to give me a load of rubbish and baffle me with regs, so any help much appreciated.

for info - hes given a full ele cert, certifying rewire safe etc. ive also taken photographs to keep a record of. i would upload these but at work and security setting wont let me.

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Not good, and if his testing is as good as his installation work then the certificate is probably in-accurate at best and may be so in-accurate as to be not worth the paper it is written on.

The junction box taped up with tape is a total bodge. If he feels he can leave that bodgery on view then one can only guess what bodgery he has concealed from view.

If he claims to be a member of any trade organisation then send his details with photos of his work to the registered office of that organisation and copy it to the building control office as well. ( for their information, not as a request for them to act. Let them make that decision ).

If rented then inform the landlord or letting agent as well.

Sponsored Links
OK - I give up - whats a WHB?

And why does that cable look like it's figure-of-8?

Anyway -the quality of the work is crap, and if not actually unsafe, not safe enough.

It does not comply with the Wiring Regulations, so the EIC is fraudulent, and IMO it does not comply with the Building Regulations, so a declaration that is does is also bogus.

OK - I give up - whats a WHB?

And why does that cable look like it's figure-of-8?

Anyway -the quality of the work is crap, and if not actually unsafe, not safe enough.

It does not comply with the Wiring Regulations, so the EIC is fraudulent, and IMO it does not comply with the Building Regulations, so a declaration that is does is also bogus.

I recently got some draka branded 2.5 t&e that was 'figure of 8' that looked more like large speaker cable from the outside but It supposed to be easier to strip though I noticed no difference.

Shoddy work, it seems.

Can you send more photos, of inside accessories if you are confident to do so, and perhaps where cables pass through the joists. A picture of the consumer unit would be interesting too.

That looks like a very rough job with no pride taken in the work bet it was done on the cheap. The connector blocks wrapped in tape under floor says it all about the standard off work.

thanks for the info everyone.

i'll take some more pictures and post later.

an electrician mate of mine popped round last night and checked sockets and switches and said they were fine. he said that the 'taped' cables in the bathroom are where theyve cut in to link the outside light which is on that external wall. he said it should meet at a junction box.

he also said that 'NO ELECTRICAL CABLES' should rest on heating copper pipework.

Having said all that, when asked if this would pass a ele test he said yes, and that on a test an electrician would not lift floorboards to check cables?!

Electrician due back this weekend so im going to demand he puts it all right, if not i'll be sending a complaint letter to the NICEIC of which (believe it or not) his company is registered with and full details of his company are on their website?!

thanks again.

A junction box under the floor would be a vast improvement, though as it has screw terminals and is unacessible it's not acceptable. However, for years and years electricians would often fit junction boxes under floors.

The block wrapped in tape shows no effort at all though.

The cables over the pipe could perhaps be the result of drawing cables through the floor void, without that floorboard being lifted up. That said, by drawing the cables through the electrician should have 'felt' the pipework.

an electrician mate of mine popped round last night and checked sockets and switches and said they were fine. he said that the 'taped' cables in the bathroom are where theyve cut in to link the outside light which is on that external wall. he said it should meet at a junction box

The outside lamp should be fed from a double pole fused switch outlet. That enables you to fully isolate it should it become damaged and dangerous. It also allows the rest of the electrics to operate without the damaged outside lamp tripping an RCD or MCB

an electrician mate of mine popped round last night and checked sockets and switches and said they were fine. he said that the 'taped' cables in the bathroom are where theyve cut in to link the outside light which is on that external wall. he said it should meet at a junction box

The outside lamp should be fed from a double pole fused switch outlet. That enables you to fully isolate it should it become damaged and dangerous. It also allows the rest of the electrics to operate without the damaged outside lamp tripping an RCD or MCB

It may be that the cable that was cut into already served another outside light, which may have a switch somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back