help with ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
little help please people....

Ive decided to put a lighting circuit and a ring main in my shed off a new consumer unit which i finished today. lighting is absolutely fine but for some reason my sockets are staying live even when switched off. i plugged in a martindale thingy and its showing a L&N fault.

Ive checked the consumer unit and a few of the sockets and they are wired right so what can the problem be?

Sponsored Links
Everything.

Specifically your new CU, the feeder to it, the meter / intake position and the back of one of the problem sockets.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like incorrect polarity at the new consumer unit or supply to consumer unit. Try checking the polarity with a proper voltage tester or multi meter.

Ok yeah i can do that tomorrow. I just wanted to know what the possible fault may be so that I can check?

The feed for the shed comes from a 6mm 3core swa from a henley block in the house that's all correct and the cu is wired correctly so I was just asking what would I check next? Is it possible that just one socket is wired wrong to cause all the sockets to have this fault?

Ive decided to put a lighting circuit and a ring main in my shed off a new consumer unit which i finished today. lighting is absolutely fine but for some reason my sockets are staying live even when switched off. i plugged in a martindale thingy and its showing a L&N fault.
Ring final circuit in a shed - this has got to be a wind up.

Ive checked the consumer unit and a few of the sockets and they are wired right so what can the problem be?
Definitely a wind up - I mean what idiot would power up a consumer unit without first of all conducting the proper dead tests to establish that he had continuity, insulation resistance, polarity.
What type of earth have you used?

Ring final circuit in a shed - this has got to be a wind up.

Definitely a wind up - I mean what idiot would power up a consumer unit without first of all conducting the proper dead tests to establish that he had continuity, insulation resistance, polarity.
What type of earth have you used?

Why would it be a wind up?

Sorry im no electrician but i can do bits around the house so thought id have a go at this. i was just asking for a bit of advice over where ive possibly gone wrong?

Everything.

Specifically your new CU, the feeder to it, the meter / intake position and the back of one of the problem sockets.
I'd also like to see a photograph/scan of all of the results of all of the tests that were done before and after energising.

I mean what idiot would power up a consumer unit without first of all conducting the proper dead tests to establish that he had continuity, insulation resistance, polarity?
The sort of idiot who is so ignorant and so stupid that he does not see why his ignorance and stupidity should in any way whatsoever be a bar to him fiddling with things which he doesn't understand.

I don't suppose he's met the legal requirements for what he did either.

I mean what idiot would power up a consumer unit without first of all conducting the proper dead tests to establish that he had continuity, insulation resistance, polarity?
The sort of idiot who is so ignorant and so stupid that he does not see why his ignorance and stupidity should in any way whatsoever be a bar to him fiddling with things which he doesn't understand.

I don't suppose he's met the legal requirements for what he did either.

ok so obviously some friendly advice is not going to happen here just abuse. thanks guys ill figure it out myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back