help with roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I've had the shell of a shed built using 6" concrete blocks. The gable end has roughly been done as well, will just need to cut blocks

Now I want to know how I go about making a cut roof.

How is the ridge board secured to the gable ends to keep it upright while I cut and secure the rafters?

How are the rafters secured to the ridge?

Do the rafters need to be birds mouthed at wall plate?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
personally i think it would be a bit hard to try and explain on a 'how do you do it'
either research on google for detailed info on a cut and pitch or get a chippy in to do it,
ive been a carpenter for 20 odd years and i still need to consult the ready reconer.

not a chippie, not a roofer.. just seen too many DIY shows.. but here's my 2p worth..

I assume that the ridge beam will sit on top of the gable end wall?
screw a 2x4 to the wall face so that it's upright and the right distance from center, and then screw the ridgebeam to this to hold it upright?

View media item 13611

Sponsored Links
not a chippie, not a roofer.. just seen too many DIY shows.. but here's my 2p worth..

I assume that the ridge beam will sit on top of the gable end wall?
screw a 2x4 to the wall face so that it's upright and the right distance from center, and then screw the ridgebeam to this to hold it upright?

View media item 13611

cheers

was just thinking of a twisted restraint strap, 1 at each opposite ends. Wounder if I could use masonry nails to hammer it to the concrete block

You do not build the gable wall until the roof is pitched up. You use the roof timbers as your guide to cut up the gable masonry.

You would start with a pattern rafter (complete with plate b/m), once happy with this, make all the rest from the pattern.

You then fit two pairs of opposing rafters at the (gable) ends, fix them to the plate and rest the tops loosely together. You then slide the ridge board up between the rafters allowing the weight of the rafters to grip the ridge board. Once you have tapped the board level you then spike the whole lot together, then fix the rest of the rafters.

Make sure the wall plate is adequately fixed down otherwise the roof will spread. It is sometimes better to fix a piece of timber spanning across both plates at each end in order to temporarily counter the spread. Once the rafters are fixed you can then fix the ceiling joists or collars to deal with the spread permanently.

You do not build the gable wall until the roof is pitched up. You use the roof timbers as your guide to cut up the gable masonry.

You would start with a pattern rafter (complete with plate b/m), once happy with this, make all the rest from the pattern.

You then fit two pairs of opposing rafters at the (gable) ends, fix them to the plate and rest the tops loosely together. You then slide the ridge board up between the rafters allowing the weight of the rafters to grip the ridge board. Once you have tapped the board level you then spike the whole lot together, then fix the rest of the rafters.

Make sure the wall plate is adequately fixed down otherwise the roof will spread. It is sometimes better to fix a piece of timber spanning across both plates at each end in order to temporarily counter the spread. Once the rafters are fixed you can then fix the ceiling joists or collars to deal with the spread permanently.

ah right, well I just phoned my builder for him to help me over the weekend

Ive got some vertical straps for the wall plate, could always use some long hammer fixing as well or masonry nails

As i said about the plate, you will be hammering and bashing a lot, so a temporary 'joist' may be better as the plates have to be kept dead parallel or else the ridge may dip. This is as well as the other fixings and straps as it is simply not worth the risk and it is an absolute pig to try and get it back to level.

UPDATE

Started Saturday by leveling and laying the wall plates.

Sunday, I fixed 120mm hammer fixings to the wall plate every 600mm, just to provide additional restraint. Also need to add collars, does this need to be in 6x2 as well?

Pictures say the rest, I need to add restraint straps yet to wall plate as wall as to the gable wall

This is my very first roof, I thought it went quite well. I appreciate all the help and guide I have received, and here are pics of it put into practise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back