Help with sandpit please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wee lad who loves digging up my garden, so have decided to build him a sandpit to stop me from pulling my hair out! The only thing is, the cost of sandpit sand is exorbitant!
I was just wondering if I could buy some sand from a builders merchants instead. If so,could someone give me a recommendation of which type?
Thanks in advance!
The Mrs!

Sponsored Links
Sure, I can't see any reason why not.....builders sand should be fine, occasionally the colour varies a bit which is no problem - sharp sand has a coarser grain and shell particles.
Do cover the pit over though when not in use, it will prevent contamination.
John :)

I think ordinary builders sand will have alsorts of chemicals and whatever to help it bond with concrete etc, wickes do a sandpit sand, £4.50 for 25kg.

Sponsored Links
Building sand dies everything yellow. Your kid will look like a Simpson.
Make a lid

For sure, I've no comment to make regarding added chemicals or colouring etc.....
In my dad's building business (1921 - 1985) I used to play in and form it from the late 50's, and collect it from the washing plant in ancient Bedford 3 tonners after that.
The sand either came from high dunes - where there was no salt - or river beds. The particle size was particularly uniform - I was told - and didn't need further crushing as a rule.
John :)

Thanks very much for the replies!
A lid will certainly be built, I don't want the neighbours cats having another reason to come in and dig up the garden!!
I'll take a look at the wicks website now☺️

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back