Help with Sealing Wood Against Brick, Is This Possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a pergola, a lean to that connects to the house.

I decided against leaving a gap between the ledger board and the brick, but obviously I want to avoid all the cr*p from trees gathering in the crease, and causing water damage, etc.

I was toying with the idea of putting a damp proofing strip (v shaped) against the wall and the wood, but it occured to me: Why don't I just silicone against the wall where it meets the ledger board, using a clear outdoor silicone, and this would stop anything getting in the crease, and when it rains the water should just evaporate at some stage that is sat on the flat bit of the ledger board.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this. The ledger board is like this:

fig100.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sealant as you say or maybe some of the smaller profile guttering. Maybe some dpc stapled in might work or a piece of stained and varnished wood to match the pergola. There is also bostik flashing strip available from toolstation

Hope that helps

Thanks Nuzuki, I think I am going to just silicone the crease to stop debris getting behind and rotting the wood.

Sponsored Links
You can get brown window or frame sealant. That might hold upto the elements better than clear silicone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back