Help with securing my home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Posting this with a heavy heart. There has been a spate of burglaries around our town and our home of 3 years was the latest victim yesterday.
Thieves accessed through the front door (image attached) when we were away for couple of hours. They were mainly after jewelry and got away with a metal safe for that reason.

Installing a burglar alarm (& CCTV) was on my list of things to do after renovation and extension but thieves got me before I could carry this out.

Can you please advise:
1. The front door locks. I've Yale locks as you might be able to see on the image. Can just the keys be changed on them easily? Or do I need a new lock? FYI, the door has 2 extra locks at top/ bottom (and we forgot to double lock them before going out).. :(
All the locks are working OK. They used screwdrivers to squeeze the lock out of its slot.

2. House Alarm: I've no experience of this. Can you please advise the good ones including cost? I am hoping I should be able to install them as I am a keen DIYer and have done most things around my house including some electrical.

3. CCTV near the roof overlooking the entrance: What is the recommendation? Would you advise to buy a motion sensing CCTV (and recorder)?

Sorry for the long post and thank you so much for your help in advance..
9fcd.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Sponsored Links
Replacing the lock barrel is fairly easy, take the screw out of the side of the door which holds the bottom of the barrel in, put a key in, turn it slowly whilst pulling and it should come out.

your local police office may offer a free crime prevention visit

Be aware the scrotes may come back in a few weeks in the hope of getting more shiny stuff that you've just replaced with the insurance money.

If your front door and frame is so weak it can be popped with a screwdriver it needs to be reinforced or replaced.

Thanks for the comment about the barrel. I will buy a new (Yale?) barrel and replace so I get new keys.

I am also surprised that they could enter with screwdrivers. The police said that if I had double locked, they would not have managed to open the door as its quite heavy and seems to be of good quality. They 2 extra locks go into the frame at the top and bottom when the door is double locked and you cannot work out where the extra locks are once the door is double locked. My mistake!!

But then the police said if they were desperate, they would have broken the glass or windows!!

Any ideas on alarms please?

Sponsored Links
Take the old barrel with you when you go to get one, or at least take a photo with a ruler next to it with you as they differ in lengths.

As for the alarm, it depends on what you want. If you want it monitored then you need it professionally installed.
If you just want a bog standard alarm which makes a noise and phones you then there are loads out there.
I have used texecom in the past and are relatively straight forwards. I'd recommend avoiding wireless!

As for the CCTV it isn't imo worth while going for the motion sensor ones, the normal ones are cheap enough with a hard disk which if left recording constantly last for days - long enough if you notice anything wrong.

Firstly, sorry to hear that you've been burgled, all you can do is make it as difficult as possible for the little $hits to get in. As the police have said, if they want to get in, they will.

I am surprised at the way they have gained entry so easy, I would get someone to take a look at the locking system / points on the door.

As for the new lock barrel when you remove it, it may be "offset" this is the measurement from the centre of the screw hole to the face of the lock in mm, you will need to make note of the dimensions from the centre to the internal face and likewise centre to the external face.
Have a look at ABS Avocet locks, they are more expensive than Yale but are anti-pick, bump and snap and the keys are registered and can only be copied by a registered dealer.

I would go for a Texecom Veritas alarm panel (I tend to use the Excel model) they have 8 zones, are pretty easy to install, program and use. And are very reliable.
A mixture of magnetic contacts on front and back doors (can get Them with built in shock detectors built into one unit) and PIR's to cover the living areas, I install Texecom QD, you can also get pet friendly PIR's if you have dogs or cats. You could also add a Text / Speech Dialer if required.

A CCTV system with a DVR recording continuously is probably the easiest to install and set up. Do some research on here before you part with your cash, some of the cheaper models leave a lot to be desired in the quality department.
Don't install the DVR under the TV, if someone does get in the may just grab it thinking its a DVD player and take all your evidence with them.

When replacing the barrel, measure from the outside edged of the external faces of the handle/plates.

That barrel is too long and can be snapped if that's how far it sticks out on the outside.

Have a look at ABS Avocet locks, they are more expensive than Yale but are anti-pick, bump and snap and the keys are registered and can only be copied by a registered dealer.

I would second that. I live in Leeds, the lock snapping capital of the UK, and AFAIK, ABS locks are the only locks recommended by West Yorkshire police.

I recently fitted some to my sisters new house. It literally takes 5 mins to do. I got mine from https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/loc...euro-cylinder-locks-bump-drill-snap-resistant

Thanks peeps for such wonderful help and support..

SandyLyon:
I would go for a Texecom Veritas alarm panel (I tend to use the Excel model) they have 8 zones, are pretty easy to install, program and use. And are very reliable.
A mixture of magnetic contacts on front and back doors (can get Them with built in shock detectors built into one unit) and PIR's to cover the living areas, I install Texecom QD, you can also get pet friendly PIR's if you have dogs or cats. You could also add a Text / Speech Dialer if required.

Is this a wireless set up or wired? FYI, we don't have pets. Can you please advise if I can buy this product as a complete package with PIR and Dialler.. I've tried ebay but not so sure if I am getting all that you have mentioned above.
Please provide links if possible. We live in a 3 bed mid terraced house that has been extended downstairs.

Many thanks once again.

Is this a wireless set up or wired? FYI, we don't have pets. Can you please advise if I can buy this product as a complete package with PIR and Dialler.. I've tried ebay but not so sure if I am getting all that you have mentioned above.
Please provide links if possible. We live in a 3 bed mid terraced house that has been extended downstairs.

Many thanks once again.

The Texecom Excel panel is wired. I much prefer to install wired systems wherever I can (just personal preference)

Have a search on Google, for suppliers, Brewtime.co.uk and alertelectrical.com are two good suppliers with good prices for trade and DIY customers.

Thanks SandyLyon

I quite like "Excel Ultimate KIT" for £200, which I think is the one that matches your recommendation in the closest way.

Its cheaper from the metal version by £15 OR Should I go for metal one?

The only difference between the two is the box the main control panel is housed in. The cheaper one has a plastic housing, the metal one is, erm metal.

Normally the plastic enclosure is just fine for a standard domestic installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back