My security worries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to the forum so would like to start by saying hello!
My partner and I recently sold our flat and have bought a 3 bed end of terrace house. We're so glad to finally have a freehold property! We're in a completely new area about 15 miles from where we used to live. We knew we weren't buying in he best area, but upon getting the keys (we haven't moved in yet as were renovating the whole house) we noticed that a new door handle had been put on the front door and it only the central lock now works. Also there's signs of forced entry on the patio doors as well. So we're having both a new front door and patio doors installed. My partner says that it's enough but for peace of mind is like a burglar alarm and CCTV. I know it won't stop someone breaking in if they really want to get in, but just having an alarm and CCTV might make it less appealing to burgle us! We're particularly vulnerable because we're end of terrace with a walkway down the side and rear of our property without any street lights.
I'm looking for a simple wireless burglar alarm and have narrowed it down to a Yale smartphone alarm and a response G5. I really want one with a keyfob to arm/disarm the property to save my fumbling around with the keypad! Any suggestions of which is best out of the two?

Sponsored Links
end of terrace with a walkway down the side and rear of our property without any street lights.

So fit a tall, locking gate and some security lights as well.

You are not supposed to use barbed wire but can plant whatever bushes you want in your garden, for example pyracantha and climbing roses are popular and can be trained against a wall or fence.

Yeah, I thought about adding some trek lace ontop of our existing fence to make it difficult to climb but would also break quite easily if someone tried to climb over it causing a bit of noise... I haven't considered some prickly plants though, so will be sure to plant some! I'm defiantly going to get a floodlight too.

Hiya
depending how confident you are in fitting one yourself, I've fitted my own Texecom Premier Elite which is wireless (and works in a matrix so it gets feedback cuts down on false alarms) which is pretty good and lots of functionality and good documentation, can be programmed from a pc (once you have the link established) but again it depends on cost - not a security expert and don't confess to be, but I wouldn't have fitted a Yale at least with the Texecom you know its not going to give you too many false alarms and is industry recognised and peace of mind and has a smart app and you can get notifications to your phone through their app. Obviously lots of installers on here if you wanted it installing.

Sponsored Links
I'm happy and confident to install it myself (I say myself... More like my builder dad!) but I'm quite technically minded and am confident with good instructions I would be able to give it a good go. I'll have a look online and check it out. I'm new to looking for burglar alarms so really trying to get my head around what's out there!

A wired alarm is always better than a wireless alarm. It is well worth the effort to install the cables. If you must have a wireless one then use ome that has two way communication between sensors and panel and wired connection to the bell / siren from the panel.

With a system using only one way communication it is possible to set the alarm when a protected door or window is open. This is because the panel cannot interogate the sensors when the alarm is being set.

One serious problem with the majority of alarms using one way comunication is that a sensor can fail or even be be removed from the house without the panel being aware it has lost a sensor.

Manufacturers of alarms tend to play down the problem of burglars "going equiped" with the tool that disables a wireless alarm from outside the house by blocking ( jamming ) the radio channel.

A lot of "false" alarms are the result of the wireless links being jammed and the bell box going into alarm as that is the only way it can alert that there is a problem. One manufacturer actually reccomends turning OFF the jamming detection if there are too many "false" alarms due to interference.

As said already making criminal entry to the house more difficult is the best defence.

Don't forget that flood lights are a burglar's dream. Who is around at silly-o-clock in the morning to watch them in the garden? No one.

Find a set that will operate a buzzer in the house. GJD is a very good make with lots of different pieces of equipment. www.gjd.co.uk will find them.

Not the cheapest of lighting systems around, but very good. Much better than a stand alone floodlight.

Have a look and see what you think. Most electrical wholesalers should be able to help you out with this if needed.

Have fun.

Don't forget that flood lights are a burglar's dream.
It can dis-orientate a burglar if a security light that is permanently ON when he approaches the building and then suddenly goes OFF when he gets very close (into PIR range ).

Of course this can be dangerous as being plunged suddenly into darkness while climbing a fence may result in the burglar having an accident and injuring himself.

I really would not worry about fumbling with a keypad it's a doddle, 20 or 30 seconds is ages to put down your bags and input the number. You don't have to worry about loosing your keys in your front garden complete with the fob, or "grabbers" reading your code.
I fitted a Yale to a rental I used to have for use during void periods it was fine. At home though I have a professionally fitted one with a mix of hard wired and wireless components, the service contracts can be expensive but on the odd occasion we have had trouble they come out quickly and fix it, no figuring out what's gone wrong and ordering bits to repair it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back