Help with socket circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know this will be a really boring straight forward question to most, so sorry in advance.
I havent been able to find the answer for some of these questions on here, so apologies if I have missed anything.

I recently had a new kitchen installed and a new fuse box was fitted in the process.
Whilst this was being done, I wanted a new double socket in a large walk in storage cupboard, and the electricians fitted one on its own fuse switch. (Shown in pics supplied - fuse switch number 3)

I then decided I wanted a second double socket in the hall by this cupboard, so I ran a spur of this first double socket.

Now, I have decided I would like another double socket (or maybe a couple more of them) elsewhere.

So my questions are:

1) On this style of circuit, how many double sockets can there be?

2) How many spurs can be taken off one double socket (in this case, the first double socket fitted, which was in the cupboard... remembering that a second is already connected to it)?

3) What would be the best way of adding other sockets (spurs, junction boxes in loft, etc)?

4) Would a socket for the garden/s need to be ran off their own switched fuse in the Junction box or can they safely be connected to an existing circuit?

Sponsored Links
Your fuse switch is a Miniature Circuit Breaker.

The circuit is a 16A Radial Final.

No limit.

2) How many spurs can be taken off one double socket (in this case, the first double socket fitted, which was in the cupboard... remembering that a second is already connected to it)?
Only one spur is advisable but no limit to the number of sockets.

3) What would be the best way of adding other sockets (spurs, junction boxes in loft, etc)?
No need for junction boxes, just run from socket to socket.

4) Would a socket for the garden/s need to be ran off their own switched fuse in the Junction box or can they safely be connected to an existing circuit?
Either, but you must know how to do it.

No limit.

You cannot do these things on a Ring Final circuit.

Thanks...

does this mean that I cant do any extending or anything? It has to stay with just the two sockets?

Sponsored Links
does this mean that I cant do any extending or anything? It has to stay with just the two sockets?
No, if I understand you correctly, on a Radial circuit which this is you can more or less do whatever you want.

You will of course be limited to 16A total load because of the 16A MCB so it will be no good for lots of high demand appliances but fine for occasional use of all the sockets.

If you could replace the MCB with a 32A and all the cable was 4mm² then it would be a 'normal household circuit'.

Thanks... does this mean that I cant do any extending or anything? It has to stay with just the two sockets
No - as EFLI said, you can have as many sockets as you like on that circuit - the easiest way being to wire 'from one to another' in a chain. However, you can have 'branches' if you want (two fed from one). You shouldn't really need to use junction boxes.

Kind Regards, John

No limit.

You cannot do these things on a Ring Final circuit.

I was confused by the above statement about not being able to do these things?

I was pointing out for safety that you cannot do what you want to on a RING circuit but yours is a RADIAL.

You can do all those things because you have a radial circuit. I think that, after he had told you that, EFLI worried that someone might read his post and think that the same would apply to a 'ring final' circuit (which is not the case) ... hence he wrote his second post, which confused you.

Edit: EFLI is typing faster than me tonight!

Kind Regards, John

You can do all those things because you have a radial circuit. I think that, after he had told you that, EFLI worried that someone might read his post and think that the same would apply to a 'ring final' circuit (which is not the case) ... hence he wrote his second post, which confused you.

Kind Regards, John

Jeeez, how thick am I!?!
Sorry and thanks guys

I am looking into a new 32amp switch to start off with now, but struggling to find the same type of mcb

There is a floor limit on a radial circuit but the figures are on the tip of my brain cell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back