Help with telephone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a perfectly functioning landline which had been there since we moved in, it’s a Virgin Media one and was just a regular telephone socket on the wall with a wire going outside to the sealed plastic VM box.

we had some building works done tail end of last year and it got damaged/semi-severed, so I waited until everything was cleared up and finished then attempted to reinstall. We cut the wire back, bought a new socket and wired up as per various guides online, but no dial tone. I’ve tried both master and slave sockets but no different. This is the only landline cable entering the property, it’s not an extension.

I’m obviously trying to avoid getting VM out as there’ll be a charge. Perhaps someone in the know can see where we’re going wrong, we’ve double and triple checked our wiring to BT standards but no luck. I’m not sure if being VM there’s any difference or conversion/adapter?

Ive popped a pic below of the 6 cores incase it helps.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• E1CEDEB7-4EAF-4A1F-A32B-CAD5332B7898.jpeg
    E1CEDEB7-4EAF-4A1F-A32B-CAD5332B7898.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
On the outside of the property there will be the VM connection box.Go and look in that box to see what colour wires have been crimped to extend the wire into the property. These will be the incoming line and will need to be connected to the master socket .

Thanks,

Kinda kicking myself, should have checked in there. I assumed whoever did the wiring connected alike colours together.

As it turns out, blue and white/blue on the main income then get crimped into green and green/white. So I linked up those green cables into the blue terminals in the socket and away we go.

Would have been nice for my OCD if they’d have used alike colours but hey ho. Is there a reason they do this or just one of them things?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back