Help with vintage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wonder if anybody an help me.

I have an old slide projector that I want to be able to use. Currently it has a 3 pin round plug on it and the wires are green, red and black. I understand the plug to be 2amp but it does not have a fuse in it.

The earth wire is attached to the metal casing of the projector.

My question is: how would I go about rewiring this? Can I just substitute the existing wires for new ones and put a 2mp fuse into square 3 pin plug? Should I still earth to the metal casing? Or should I throw it away and buy a modern one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In an ideal world I would rewire with modern flex

Ideally you should PAT (test) afterwards to check it is safe

A 5A fuse should be ok in a 13A plug

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was going to rewie it with modern flex. Is it just a case of swapping the old wires for modern ones?

Basically, yes

Green is earth / red live/ black neutral

Green &yellow / Brown / blue

Presumably it is a 35mm projector .
Lamps may/may not be hard to come by

Sponsored Links
Great - thanks. Yes its a 35mm slide projector. The lamps aren't bad - some on ebay for £12, which of course is about £8 more than I paid for the projector.
However I am used to those kinds of things

Thats great thanx, yes that's the one. So you think I would need a 5A fuse in a plug for something that takes that bulb?

Either 3 or 5A

I don't normally bother with anything other than 5 and 13

Thats great thanx, yes that's the one. So you think I would need a 5A fuse in a plug for something that takes that bulb?

The purpose of the fuse is to protect the cable nor what is on the end of it. So assuming you use the correct cable 5 amp will be OK.

Note if the wiring is in good condition there is no need to replace it.

The flex might be cotton covered rubber. If so the rubber will probably be brittle, so it might be a good idea to replace the flex.

If it has that lamp, then it's a 50's or 60's projector

I'd replace the wiring if it was me.
Be careful and ensure that you include a cable clamp /gland where it goes through the case

Thanks for your help. I am going to replace the wiring because the flex was frayed anyway.
Ill replace with modern flex and plugs. As you might guess, it looks a pretty simple arrangement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back