1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with washing machine noise

Discussion in 'Appliances' started by MrSPV, 10 Sep 2021.

1. MrSPV

MrSPV

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

Can anyone suggest a diagnosis for the noise our Bosch Exxcel 1200 express is making? I'm thinking it must be either bearing or shock absorbers but not sure how to tell the difference. Drum seems to be rubbing and then spins off centre at certain speeds and starts knocking against the inside of the casing. I've uploaded an example here:

Fast forward to about 2 mins for the loudest knocking.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Sponsored Links
  3. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like the drum might be loose as well. How old is the machine?

4. MrSPV

MrSPV

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's just over 10 years old. I replaced the motor brushes about 12 months ago. Been ok after that until a few days ago. The problem first occurred when spinning a single large\heavy sofa cover so I imagine it could have been a bit unbalanced when doing that.

The spin in the video was when empty in case that wasn't clear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you’re handy enough, you could always remove the top cover (usually gives access to view the drum) and see what’s happening?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MrSPV

MrSPV

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did have a brief look but will try again. Not knowing what's normal and what isn't makes it tricky but I'll persevere.

7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Only access to the outer drum.

OP - Try opening the door and lifting, lowering the inner drum. Is there any obvious playing in that?

Also try turning the drum via the drive pulley at the rear - any sign of rough bearings?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. assuhors

assuhors

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One or possibly more of the three legged drum support arms has broken giving you that out of shape front of drum and squeaking on the door seal noise and heavy thumping.
    Would need a new inner drum to rectify, at that age probably not worth doing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. MrSPV

MrSPV

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If I move the drum back and forth using each paddle in turn a couple feel rough and make a noise and the third seems fine so I get the impression it may well be the drum supports....as suggested

It's definitely loose or off centre. Sounds expensive and time consuming to repair.

Thanks
    Mike

11. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Worn dampers or broken weight cause those symptoms. Concrete weight on top and sometimes also on bottom can break up slowly and cause imbalance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MrSPV

MrSPV

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've had a look and run a spin with the top off - it doesn't seem to be vibrating unduly. Weights are all solid. I've also compared how loose the drum feels with a neighbours machine and I'm now pretty certain that the drum is in some way detached from its mountings unfortunately. So we're going to look at replacing it. I do like fixing things but this time it's beyond me frankly and I suspect getting a professional in will cost a good proportion of the cost of a new machine. Thanks for your help though everyone :)

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  13. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Depends on the professional, our local repair guy strips down and fault finds for free only charging if repair is completed.

• Like Like x 1