Help with wiring double light switch.

Yes - STOP STOP STOP.

If you've done what we think you have, operating the other switch for one of those lights may cause the whole switch plate to become LIVE.

TURN OFF THE POWER AT THE MAIN SWITCH, disconnected all the wires from that switch and put them individually into terminal blocks so that there are no exposed conductors and only then turn the power back on.

GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN.

Then learn how these things work before you touch anything again - lots of info in the wiki.

Sponsored Links
Not to put too fine a point on it yes you are - or have been [a fool].
If that is a switched live conductor connected to the switch body, you have been extremely lucky not to get a serious electric shock when touching it.
Another one for the 2013 Darwin awards. :rolleyes:
Oh for gods sake! Ring an electrician as you clearly don't have a clue what your doing and are putting yourself and your family in danger, if you have have done any electrical work elsewhere in the house ask them to check it too as you have most likely ballsed something up with that as well! I may sound harsh but i wouldn't even be comfortable trying to talk you through anything, safest option is get an electrician, sorry.
Yes - STOP STOP STOP.

If you've done what we think you have, operating the other switch for one of those lights may cause the whole switch plate to become LIVE.

TURN OFF THE POWER AT THE MAIN SWITCH, disconnected all the wires from that switch and put them individually into terminal blocks so that there are no exposed conductors and only then turn the power back on.

GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN.

Then learn how these things work before you touch anything again - lots of info in the wiki.
Given that I was on the receiving end of this in another topic:
You've scared him off with your rude, aggresive and patronising replies. Everyone was trying to be helpful.

Don't bother with the whole "show me where I was rude, aggresive or patronising" routine. I really can't be bothered playing your games.

OP, if you're still reading, please continue to post, and just ignore BAS. There are good people on here who will try to help you out.
I await with interest (but no actual expectation) the arrival here of RF with similar criticism of you all.

Sponsored Links
Electrical installation by guesswork is a very bad idea, and should not be suggested.

The ONLY way the OP should proceed is to test/trace the conductors to properly identify them, and then connect them appropriately.[/quote]

Yeh use test equipment, but how else would it be done? They have 2 lights run off 2 switches and a 3 core going to the switch, so you would think red permanent, and the other 2 switch lives. That's how I've done mine, instead of running 2 separate t&e's.

I think the person should not listen to us as it's 'guess work' and call someone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back