Help with wiring double light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I started what I though would be a simple job of replacing a two switch light switch with another newer nice lovely chrome two switch light switch.

Each switch controls a different light - no communication between them needed

This is the original:

20131114_182728_zps5b95a6e9.jpg

This is how I've wired up the new one (note weird connecting wires because this was how it was wired to the other socket, with the exception of there not being a blue smaller connecting wire, but the red one was already cut and connected in the old plug).

20131114_182700_zps7d6cc53c.jpg

Only one of the lights work, have I bought the wrong kind of light switch or am I being a fool?

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like you have put a switched live into the earth terminal, in the original you probably didn't have the blue wire linked across between two terminals.
As you already have red between both L1s I'd say blue to one of the commons, yellow to the other common,
Then you need to put the earth wire into the earth terminal.

are you sure the yellow was connected to earth as that is normally a live conductor?
is there an earth conductor connect to the backbox or within the grey sheath of the cables. Metallic switch requires to be earthed, and the earth must have continuity back to the MET at the board.

Not to put too fine a point on it yes you are - or have been.

How was it wired before? The switches are exactly the same.

That is, apart from the fact that the new one is metal and requires earthing by an earth wire (CPC) which is connected to earth and is usually a bare wire in the cable (may have been cut) which must be sleeved Green&Yellow, not the Yellow wire of the circuit.

It is not possible to tell from the picture which wire should go where.
You will need some form of testing equipment to determine this.

Sponsored Links
If that is a switched live conductor connected to the switch body, you have been extremely lucky not to get a serious electric shock when touching it.

This is how I've wired up the new one (note weird connecting wires because this was how it was wired to the other socket, with the exception of there not being a blue smaller connecting wire, but the red one was already cut and connected in the old plug).
So the old switch worked OK, but you decided that the new switch should have a link between the 2 COMs. What was your reasoning there?

And the red link was originally between the 2 L2s?

Only one of the lights work, have I bought the wrong kind of light switch or am I being a fool?
No, and possibly yes.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT (possibly to the level of life vs death):

Where was the yellow wire connected with the old switch?

So why add the blue then?
If think you may have a potentially dangerous situation here, you need test equipment!

And you need to question the wisdom of deciding to do electrical work even though you know you don't understand it.

Yellow and blue most prob switch lives for each light, put the red in com, then loop a red to the other common and put the blue in L1 and the yellow in the other L1, but as u have a metal switch a earth will be required which I can't quite see in the pic if it's been connected to the back box.

There has been no response, so he's probably got the full 230v up his arm.

Another one for the 2013 Darwin awards. :rolleyes:

Yellow and blue most prob switch lives for each light, put the red in com, then loop a red to the other common and put the blue in L1 and the yellow in the other L1, but as u have a metal switch a earth will be required which I can't quite see in the pic if it's been connected to the back box.
Electrical installation by guesswork is a very bad idea, and should not be suggested.

The ONLY way the OP should proceed is to test/trace the conductors to properly identify them, and then connect them appropriately.

Oh for gods sake! Ring an electrician as you clearly don't have a clue what your doing and are putting yourself and your family in danger, if you have have done any electrical work elsewhere in the house ask them to check it too as you have most likely ballsed something up with that as well! I may sound harsh but i wouldn't even be comfortable trying to talk you through anything, safest option is get an electrician, sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back