Help with wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken out 3 of the 4 halogen ceiling lights in a bathroom.
My intention is to replace with a central ceiling rose and LED lamps, plus, add in an extractor fan.
The surviving halogen has wherever the feed comes from via the light switch.

Questions:
Once I disconnect the final halogen can I use this point to connect the central ceiling light and also take the feed from that point to the extractor fan. Both lights and fan would turn on/off from the light switch.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Make life easy and connect all the cables to a JB in the loft, with the incoming feed, switch cable, one switched feed out to the light and (assuming you have a timer fan) a three core (via a triple pole isolator) to the fan.
The three core and earth cable comprises, permanent live, switched live and neutral, along with the earth.

I should have added ground floor so no access to the loft, currently working in the void via the holes left from the Halogens.

The current cable in the void is 2-core plus earth wire, so if reading your reply correctly, I use the current 2-core + earth to the ceiling light and a 3-core + earth to the fan.

I have still to purchase the fan but will be of the timer type.

Have you access to the upstairs to lift boards?

Any inaccessible joints must be made via a MF type JB.

Sponsored Links
No its a tiled floor above (main bathroom) If necessary I can rip out more of the ceiling but trying to avoid if I can, The ceiling was double skinned by previous owners, I have taken down one layer of plaster board. and will replace the one I have taken down when electrics are done. It is basically a refurbishment of the bathroom but the less mess I need to make the better.

Ok not a problem re using MF JB, will add to my shopping list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back