HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just screwed though a live wire (of the ground floor lighting circuit)

i have repaired a bit of plaster around the light switch earlyer today, and the switch needed changing for a new MK one, so i did it. after this i screwed the switch back on, but leaving a good few mm air flow for the plaster.

i have just gone to screw the switch on fully, but as doing this i managed to nick the sheath of the cable behind the screw. and oviusly it arced, and tripped the mcb(thank god!)

i have made safe, by keep the ground floor lighting off, and putting a bit of insulation tape around the nick(this is a 2 gang switch, the switch which has gone is a 1 way)

my question iss.. is there any way to fix this, with out replacing the cable.

i know this is my fault, as i was not paying enough attention and didn't check for clearance behind the screw. learn from your mistakes!

please respond.. :)

Sponsored Links
How mauch wire is there to play with? You may be able to extend it by using a small of terminal block (choc block) in the switch back box and add a short piece of wire.

Take a picture and post it on here.

not much to be honest, alot less than all the other wires in the box :S so possibly this has happend in the past and the wire has be cut and shortend.

i will post a picture tomorow when i get back at it, and when theres a bit more natural working light :p

if the copper isn't damaged then you could apply some heatshrink to restore the insulation..

Sponsored Links
heat shrinking could be a possibility, but the problem is i don't have any tubing or hot air gun.

i could do the previous suggestion, from taylor. but would this be deemed safe,

another thing i have thought of, could the arc flash have caused any mechanical damage to the switch?,

thankyou both.

i will post an image in a bit

update: i have fixed the light switch, there was a break in the copper wire were the arc has happend. which is why the switch would not work. i have stripped the wire back to clean copper. it now works fine. although i may need to extend the wire becuase as i was screwing the faceplate back on (making sure for clearence this time!! :oops: ) the switch is now wonky... as the wire isnt long enough.

i have to say i am pretty annoyed at my self for this, as this is the first time i have ever gone though a wire, in my many years of working with electric.

sorry, i dont feel the need to post a picture now.

thankyou all for your help :D

the switch is now wonky... as the wire isnt long enough.
Extend it how TTC suggests, with a choc block. This is fine as it is concealed in the backbox out of harms way.

i have to say i am pretty annoyed at my self for this, as this is the first time i have ever gone though a wire, in my many years of working with electric.
I wouldn't worry - you'll always check in future so it shouldn't happen again!

yep, thanks i have done that and it now all works

yeah hopefully i would of learnt from this lesson :LOL:

thanks everyone

Have you tried pulling the cable for some slack?

Most houses are wired using conduit and sometimes a small loop of slack is left above (or below) for such problem.

no i havent tried and im nto going to. because i know this house isnt wired liek that. the cables are held onto the wall with nails. (the head of the nail resting on the cable)

but it is sorted now :)

whats that face for BAN?
Just a wry smile at you saying that you've been doing electrical work for many years but you don't have basic materials and tools like heat-shrink tubing and something to make it shrink...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back