switch to control hall and landing lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hall light and a landing light. I can switch either of the lights on or off from the wall switches - one downstairs and one upstaris. These have been working OK for many years.

I want to change one of the switch units for a more modern kind. The old switch box has two on-off switches, one to control the hall light and one for the landing light. At the back of the switch is a single block with six screws ie two ‘common’, two T1 and two T2. I replaced this switch unit with a new one and I was careful to connect the same wires into the same screws (identified as Common, 1 way, 2 way on the new box, (which I presume is equivalent to T1 and T2)). However the new switch does not work ie no light at all. I have not fused anything as the old switch still works.

The new switch unit has two separate blocks of three screws each whereas the old switch unit was an MK type and had one single block of six screws.

Does anyone know how I can get the new switch to work. I have a feeling that a strapping between two of the screws may be needed but I have not a clue where to start

Sponsored Links
i bet you made the common mistake

The old switch terminals were arranged in opposing triangles of COM, L1, L2,

NOT IN ROWS! (top and bottom) (take a look at it, there should be some markation of the divider between the 2 switches)

So one switch had a triangle of terminals on the left, the other one was opposing it on the right.

Do let us know!

I get you. Will have another look at it later and try again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back